How to format a flash drive to NTFS on Windows
To update or repair an Xbox One console from a USB flash drive, you'll need a 4-GB USB flash drive formatted to NTFS. For more information, see How to use the Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One.
Important Back up or transfer any files on your flash drive before starting this procedure. The contents of the flash drive will be deleted during the reformat process.
- Plug the USB drive into a PC that's running Windows.
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-click Removable Disc in the left pane.
- From the pop-up menu, select Format.
- In the Format Removable Disc dialogue box, make sure that File system is set to NTFS.
- Tap or click Start at the bottom of the dialogue box to begin the formatting process.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
We're sorry this article didn't solve your problem. We won't give up and neither should you. Try this community option, below.