Problems downloading a game or app on Xbox One
Download does not start or fails
Make sure that you are connected to Xbox Live and signed in with the profile that originally purchased the content.
Make sure that you have enough space on your hard drive to install the content.
- Say “Xbox, go to notifications” or select Notifications on the left of your Home screen.
- Check to see if there are any notifications about low or unavailable hard drive space. Xbox One will alert you when you’re running low.
- If there is a notification about low drive space, you’ll have to delete something to free up space.
To delete items from your hard drive:
- Say “Xbox, go to My games and apps” or select My games & apps at the right of your Home screen.
- Browse your games and apps to find items you no longer use.
- Press the Menu button on your controller and select Uninstall.
- Repeat this process until you have enough free space. Note that games take up a lot more hard drive space than apps.
For information about storing data on your Xbox One console, see Understand and manage storage on Xbox One.
Download takes a long time or does not complete
Check your connection to Xbox Live. Download problems are often caused by a weak or intermittent connection to Live. To check your network status:
- Press the Menu button on the Xbox One controller.
- Select Settings.
- Select Network.
- Under Current network status, you can see if you are connected to Xbox Live and the strength of your local connection.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
We're sorry this article didn't solve your problem. We won't give up and neither should you. Try this community option, below.