Important You cannot use prepaid codes if your account is suspended or has a past-due balance. Contact Xbox Support to resolve any issues with your account. See the Assistance section at the bottom of this page for contact information.
Note If you have the Xbox 360 Entertainment For All Plan (formerly the 2 Year Xbox Live Gold Contract), you cannot “stack” or combine prepaid subscriptions during the life of your contract.
An error has occurred during the transaction. Please try again later.
Try to redeem the prepaid code later.
Can't retrieve information from Xbox Live. Status code: 80153022
Try these solutions in order:
- Check the Xbox Live service status. If there are Xbox Live or Billing notices, wait and try again.
- Confirm the location where your code was purchased. Some prepaid codes can be redeemed only in the country or region in which they were purchased.
- If there's a problem with your prepaid code, contact Xbox Support.
Can't retrieve information from Xbox Live. Status code: 801613fb
Wait 24 hours and try again. If the card does not work 24 hours after purchase, please take the card back to the retailer and ask them to activate it.
Can’t retrieve information from Xbox Live. Status code: 8016a04b
The prepaid code you’re trying to use doesn’t match the country or region of your account.
Confirm the location where your prepaid code was purchased. Some prepaid codes can be redeemed only in the country or region where they were purchased.
Please enter a valid code.
Try reentering the code shown on your prepaid card. If you have correctly entered the code, contact Xbox Support.
This code cannot be redeemed under your current membership type.
Use one of these methods to check your membership type:
Certain offers are valid only for an Xbox Live Gold Membership (for example, promotional premium content). Other offers, such as a trial Xbox Live Gold Membership, are valid only if you have a free Xbox Live account.
Note If you have the Xbox 360 Entertainment For All Plan, you cannot “stack” or combine prepaid subscriptions during the life of your contract.
This code has already been used. Please enter a code that has not been used.
Check your download history
- On your console, sign in to Xbox Live using the gamertag that you used when you originally purchased the content.
- Go to Settings, and then select Account.
- Select Download History.
- Browse your download history. If you want to download something again, select the item, and then select Download Again.
If the content that you purchased is already in your download list, you cannot use the prepaid code again.
This code wasn't activated by the retailer. Contact the store and have them activate the card.
Wait 24 hours and try again.
If the card does not work 24 hours after purchase, please take the card back to the retailer and ask them to activate it.
You can't buy this membership while your current Xbox Live membership remains active.
This error occurs if you try to redeem a prepaid Xbox Live Gold Membership code on a Gold Family Pack account.
Note If you have the Xbox 360 Entertainment For All Plan, you are ineligible to be on a Family Pack or to “stack” or combine prepaid subscriptions during the life of the contract.
To use the Gold Membership code, temporarily remove a family member from the Family Pack so they can redeem the code, then wait seven days and add the family member back to your Family Pack. Here are the steps:
- On your console, sign in using the primary account for the Gold Family Pack.
- Go to Settings, and then select Family.
- Select the family member you want to remove.
- Select Remove from Family Pack.
- Ask the family member you removed to redeem the prepaid code on his or her Xbox Live account.
- Wait seven days, and then add the family member back to the Gold Family Pack.
You can’t redeem a trial offer or a prepaid code, or you get one of the following error messages when you try to redeem a code:
- Can't redeem your code, the code is either mistyped or is valid for a different site
- Can’t redeem your code. Please try again
- An unknown error occurred
Try the following steps in the order presented:
- Make sure that the code you entered matches the code on the card.
Make sure that you haven’t already redeemed the code that you are trying to use.
If you still can't redeem the code in Zune Marketplace or on Xbox Live, the network may be experiencing problems or heavy traffic. Check Service status for current issues. If the Zune Marketplace or Xbox Live service is unavailable or is experiencing network issues, you may be temporarily unable to redeem the code. Try again later.
If you have an outstanding balance for a service associated with your Microsoft account (also known as Windows Live ID), you might be unable to redeem a prepaid code. Make sure that all the services associated with your Microsoft account are current and they don’t have an outstanding balance. To do this, check the status of your account at your Microsoft account page.
Make sure that all billing information and contact information that is associated with your Zune or Xbox account is current. To do this, follow these steps:
- Codes are 25-digit alphanumeric strings.
- Some numbers and letters may look similar, so you may want to double-check your code. For example:
- The number "8" may resemble the uppercase letter "B."
- Two instances of the uppercase letter "V" may resemble the uppercase letter "W."
- The number "0" may resemble the uppercase letter "O."
- Go to your Microsoft account page and sign in using the email address and password that is associated with the account.
- After signing in, you are prompted to retrieve a code by email, which is proof of identity. (For more information about setting up proof of identity, see Get help with your Microsoft account security proofs.)
- From your Microsoft account homepage:
- To check your contact information, click Profile, and then click Edit profile to make any changes or updates.
- To check your billing information, click Payment options, click the credit card on that page, and then click Edit to update the information associated with your payment method.
Note Zune trial subscriptions are limited to one per Zune account. If you have already redeemed a Zune trial subscription code and you try to redeem another code, you will get an error.