Xbox Live messaging on Xbox 360
Use text messaging to chat with your friends from your console or from your computer.
Send text or voice messages from an Xbox 360 console
- Sign in to Xbox Live.
- On your controller, press the Guide button.
- Select Messages.
- Select Create New.
- Select Message.
- Select a gamertag or select Enter Gamertag.
- Select Add Text or Record Voice.
- Do one of the following:
- If you selected Add Text: Enter your message. You can use the keyboard on the screen or a USB keyboard that is attached to the USB port on the front of your console.
- If you selected Record Voice: Record a voice message using your headset or Kinect sensor.
Note After you record your voice message, you can review the message before sending it by pressing Play.
- Select Send Message.
Send text messages from a computer
- Go to the Xbox Live Message Center. Sign in with your Microsoft account if prompted.
- Click Send a message.
- Select the friends to whom you want to send a message, or enter their gamertags.
- Type your message, and then click Send.
Note Messages are retained for a maximum of 30 days, after which they are automatically deleted.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
We're sorry this article didn't solve your problem. We won't give up and neither should you. Try this community option, below.