"Configuration Error" occurs when you try to add a Windows Media Center extender
You may see the following error message when you try to add a Windows Media Extender on a Windows Vista Media Center computer:
An error was encounter while configuring your computer for use with this extender.
This problem can occur if one of the following is true:
- The Media Center certificate is corrupted.
- The Network List service is not running.
To resolve this issue, try the following solutions:
Solution 1: Remove the Media Center Extender certificate
To remove the Media Center Extender certificate, follow these steps:
Click Start, type mmc in the Start Search box and then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
- On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Click Certificates, and then click Add.
- Select Computer account, and then click Next.
- Select Local computer, and then click Finish.
- Click OK.
- In the Navigation Pane under Console Root, expand Certificates, expand Personal, and then click Certificates.
- Right-click Microsoft Windows Media Center Extender Host, and then click Delete.
After you remove the certificate, uninstall the Extender and then restart Extender Setup.
Solution 2: Restart the Network List Service
To restart the Network List Service, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box and then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
- In the list of services, verify that “Started” appears under Status and that “Automatic” appears under Startup Type for Network List Service.
- If you have to modify the settings for the service, double-click the service, make the adjustment and then click OK.
- Restart Extender Setup.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the ""Configuration Error" occurs when you try to add a Windows Media Center extender" issue you were reading about or a different issue?