Troubleshoot game or app installation problems on Xbox One
This page describes what to do if you have a problem when trying to download Xbox One content.
Note If you see a specific error code or status code, use the search box on the Error & Status Code Search page to find information about how to solve the problem.
On this page
Download doesn't start or fails
Try the following solutions if the download does not start or fails.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
Solution 2: Sign in with the correct Xbox profile
Make sure you’re connected to Xbox Live and signed in with the profile that originally purchased the content.
Solution 3: Check the space on your hard drive
View your notifications on your Xbox One console to make sure you have enough space on your hard drive to install the content. Here’s how:
- Open the guide and select Notifications.
Note You can also view your notifications by selecting Notifications on Home.
- See if there are any notifications about low or unavailable hard drive space. Xbox One will alert you when you’re running low.
- If there’s a notification about low hard drive space, you’ll have to either delete content to free up space or add an external drive. For information about setting up and managing external storage, see How to manage storage on Xbox One.
To delete items from your hard drive:
- On Home, open My games & apps.
- Browse your games and apps to find the items you no longer use.
- Highlight the game or app you want to uninstall.
- Press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select either Manage game or Manage app.
- Select the installation. For example, select Internal Manage all.
- Select Uninstall all.
- Repeat this process until you have enough free space on your hard drive. Note that games take up a lot more space than apps.
Solution 4: Check for a system update
If you're having problems when trying to download an Xbox One game or app, you may need to update your console. For example, if you see a “Download stopped” error, you may need to install an update before the download can complete.
To see if there’s an update available:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select System > Settings.
- Select System > Console info.
If there’s an update available, it will be listed at the bottom of the first column in the second button location. If not, you'll see "No update available."
Download takes a long time or doesn't complete
If your download is taking a long time or doesn't complete, try the solutions at Troubleshoot slow game or app downloads on Xbox One.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Troubleshoot game or app installation problems on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?