Back up your settings on Xbox One
Backing up settings is a great way to simplify setup on any Xbox—whether that’s a new Xbox or your current one (for instance, if you decide to reset it and start over). This saves your account settings and key system settings, which your new Xbox will apply during setup.
Backups do not include settings for things that might be different on your new Xbox, such as console name or the ability to control a specific TV.
- Connect a USB storage device to your existing Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X.
Storage must be USB 3.0 or faster and 256 GB or larger. Make sure it’s designated for use with Xbox One games and apps.
- Go to Settings > System > Backup & transfer > Back up my settings and follow the on-screen instructions to save your backup to your storage.
- Before turning on the Xbox you want to set up, connect that storage to the new console.
- Start the new Xbox and follow the on-screen instructions.
If the new Xbox is already set up and you want to configure it using the backed-up settings from your other Xbox, keep the storage device connected and go to Settings > System > Console info and choose Reset console.
Backups include settings for:
- Most sign-in and security preferences
- Blu-ray and disc
- Closed captioning
- High contrast
- Network name and password
- System theme
- My home Xbox
- Most power mode and startup settings
- Xbox app connectivity
- Most broadcast and capture preferences
- Xbox notifications and timing
- Language and location
- Time zone and daylight saving
- Games and apps drive
- Backup and transfer (keep backup current)
Backups don’t include settings for:
- Controller sign-in
- Xbox Live privacy
- App privacy and sign-in info
- Linked social accounts
- Content restrictions (access to content, web filtering, signed-out restrictions)
- Family accounts
- Advanced network settings (IP, DNS, MAC address, port selection)
- Color and background
- Theme and motion
- Console name
- Backup and transfer (storage device, 4K content)
- Network transfer
- Video and audio output
- Accessories app settings
- App notifications
- Game clip resolution and capture location
- Preferred video provider
- Activity feed
- TV and OneGuide
- Game transcription
- Hide from ready-to-install list
- Power settings for external storage
- Profiles other than the one you're using
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Back up your settings on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?