Microsoft Account on the Xbox console FAQ
Your Microsoft account is the account you use to manage your interactions with Xbox Live and other Microsoft services, including Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype, Windows 10, Windows Phone, and more. This central account allows you to:
- Manage all your Microsoft services from a single account
- Sign in to your Xbox console or the Windows 10 Xbox App
- Manage your purchases and subscriptions
- Establish and manage family settings to keep your kids safe
This page answers common questions and provides resources to learn more about managing your Microsoft account from your Xbox console or the Xbox app. For more general Microsoft account questions, like how to sign up, sign in, or close your account, go to Microsoft FAQ.
On this page
How do I sign in to a new Xbox console or the Xbox app ?
- For Xbox One, see Sign in to Xbox Live on your Xbox One, select the scenario that most closely matches yours, and we'll walk you through it.
- For the Xbox app on Windows 10, see How to sign in to the Xbox app on Windows 10.
- For Xbox 360, see Download your Xbox Live profile to a different Xbox 360 console or redownload it.
What should I do if I get an error when signing in?
- If you know your Microsoft account information but still can't sign in to your account, first confirm that there are currently no Xbox Live service alerts.
- If there are no current service alerts, browse a list of possible errors for information about common sign-in and Microsoft account error messages. If you don't see your error listed, use the Error & status code search tool to look up the error code and find information about that specific error.
- If neither of those work, go to your Microsoft account online.
How do I change, recover, or remove the password I use to sign in?
Change your password
You may want to change your password periodically to keep your account secure. For help, see Change your Microsoft account password.
Recover your password if you've forgotten it
Remove your password from consoles where it was previously saved
- Learn how to remove your saved password from your home console.
- To remove your password remotely:
Learn how to use your password to manage console sign-in preferences
I have different Microsoft accounts for different services—how do I combine them?
Currently, you can't move your services from one Microsoft account to another. This option may be available in the future.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Microsoft Account on the Xbox console FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?