Error code 3151 occurs when you try to download an Xbox update
You see the following error code and message when you try to download an Xbox Dashboard update:
System update not downloadable.
Status code: 3151-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Note The “xxxx” digits in the sequence vary.
This may mean that your console is looking for but can't find a previous version of the update that you're trying to download.
Solution 1: Download the update to an external USB flash drive
- Obtain a USB flash drive with at least 90 megabytes (MB) of free space.
- Plug the USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
Note The USB flash drive must use the FAT32 file system (Windows).
- Click to download the following system update for your error code:
- Click Save to save the console update .zip file to your computer.
- Unzip the file. If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to decompress it.
- Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your USB flash drive.
- Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.
- If there is a disc in the console, remove it.
- Turn off the console.
- Remove all console storage devices, including any USB flash drives, external hard drives or the internal hard drive on the Xbox 360 S console. Learn how to remove the hard drive.
- Plug the USB flash drive that contains the update into a USB port on the console.
- Turn on the console. When the console starts, the software update should automatically start.
- If you still experience the problem, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Clear your Xbox 360 system cache
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
- Select Storage or Memory.
- Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)
- Select Clear System Cache.
- When prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.
If you still experience the problem, try the next solution.
Solution 3: Request a repair
If the previous solution didn't resolve the problem, your console needs to be repaired. See Getting your Xbox console or Kinect sensor serviced.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error code 3151 occurs when you try to download an Xbox update" issue you were reading about or a different issue?