Windows Vista: Set up Windows Media Centre with Xbox 360
You can use Windows Media Centre to stream music, pictures and video to your Xbox 360 console from any computer on your home network. The following steps are for Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium versions. For help installing or setting up Windows Media Centre on your computer, see Windows Media Centre.
Note Xbox One does not support streaming media from Windows Media Centre.
To set up Windows Media Centre on other versions of Windows, see the following articles:
Step 1: Connect your console to your network
If you’ve already connected your console to your network, you can go to step 2 below.
If not, connect your console to your home network using a wired or wireless connection. Then, test to make sure that your Xbox console connects successfully. Here's how:
- On your Xbox controller, press the Guide button.
- Go to Settings and then select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network or Wireless network.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
If the network status for the connection to your network shows as Connected, go to step 2 below. Otherwise, select More Info on your console and follow the suggestions.
Step 2: Remove previous connections
If you previously connected a computer to your Xbox 360 console, you’ll need to remove the existing connection. Here's how:
On your computer
- Start Windows Media Centre.
- Go to Tasks, and then select Settings.
- Select Extender.
- Select Xbox 360 Media Centre Extender.
- Select Uninstall.
- Select Next.
On your Xbox 360 console
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings and then select System Settings.
- Select Computers.
- Select Windows Media Centre.
- Select Disconnect.
- Press the B button on your controller to return to the Xbox Dashboard.
Step 3: Get the setup key on your console
- Go to Apps, and then select My Apps.
- Select Media Centre.
- Write down the 8-digit setup key.
Step 4: Add your console to Windows Media Centre
- Start Windows Media Centre on your computer.
- Go to Tasks, and then select Add Extender.
- When prompted, enter the 8-digit setup key from Step 3.
- Select Next to complete setup.
Step 5: Start Windows Media Centre on your console
- Go to Apps, select My Apps and then select Windows Media Centre. It will take some time to build your media libraries the first time that you use Windows Media Centre on your console.
If you have any problems, see Connections: Windows Media Centre PC.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Windows Vista: Set up Windows Media Centre with Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?