My Xbox Adaptive Controller won’t turn on
If you’re having problems powering on your controller, try the following suggestions.
Charge the controller
Plug the included USB-C cable into the USB-C power port on the back of the controller, and then plug the other end into your Xbox or PC. For more info, see Charge the Xbox Adaptive Controller.
Connect to a different USB port
If connecting the USB-C cable didn’t restore power to the controller, try plugging the cable into a different USB port on your Xbox or PC.
- On Xbox One X, there’s one USB port on the front under the power button, and two ports in the back.
- On Xbox One S, there’s one USB port on the front under the disc tray, and two ports in the back.
Note The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition does not include an optical disc drive.
- On the original Xbox One, there’s one USB port on the side around the corner from the disc tray, and two ports in the back.
- Depending on the type of PC you have (laptop, desktop, etc.), check the front, back, and sides of the device for additional USB ports.
If you still can’t get power to your controller after connecting to a different USB port, your USB-C cable might be defective.
Connect to a different device
If you have a different device that uses USB-C for charging (e.g. a smartphone), try plugging your USB-C cable (that came with your controller) into the device and plugging the other end into a power source.
If the connection doesn’t charge the device, the USB-C cable that came with your controller might be defective.
Connect a different USB-C cable
Plug a different USB-C cable into your controller and then plug the other end into your Xbox or PC.
If the controller turns on when both ends are properly connected (the Xbox button on the face of the controller will light up), the problem might be with the USB-C cable that came with your controller.
If the controller still won’t turn on using a different USB-C cable, the problem might be with the controller.
Replace your controller
If you still can’t get power to the controller after trying these troubleshooting suggestions, the controller may need to be replaced. For more info, see How do I replace my Xbox Adaptive Controller?
- The Xbox Adaptive Controller is powered by a built-in rechargeable battery. The Xbox One Play & Charge Kit and AA batteries aren’t compatible.
- If you’re connecting one or more high-powered USB devices such as QuadStick, you’ll need an additional AC Adapter (sold separately). Check your device’s power requirements before purchasing the AC Adapter.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "My Xbox Adaptive Controller won’t turn on" issue you were reading about or a different issue?