Sending and receiving messages on Xbox One
For voice messages, plug a headset into your Xbox One Wireless Controller or use Kinect.
Before you send and receive messages, also referred to as chats, consider choosing who can communicate with you by text and voice—on Xbox Live and in multiplayer games outside of Xbox Live. Do this by pressing the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, then select System > Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox Live privacy > View details & customize > Communication & multiplayer.
Note Group messages (messages to more than one person) sent before the May 2019 update will not be available after May 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience. To save copies of important group messages, do the following:
- Sign in at support.xbox.com.
- Select your gamertag in the top right of your browser, then select Xbox Profile > Messages.
- Choose a message to save, then copy and paste its contents into email or a file to be saved.
To send messages
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide, then select Communication > New chat.
- Enter a gamertag or choose someone (or several people) from your friends list, then select Done.
Note To send messages to someone not in your friends list, you need to know their gamertag.
To send a message to someone you played with recently, open the guide and select People > Recent players. Select someone, then send a message from their profile.
- Do either of the following:
- Enter your message in the box. When you’re done, select Enter.
- To send a voice chat, select Enter to close the keyboard, then select the microphone icon and record your message.
- When you’re happy with your message, select Send message.
To start a group message from a voice chat, select any group chat—that is, a message with more than one recipient—and select Join voice. This starts a private voice chat for everyone on the text chat.
To receive messages
Messages you receive from friends and other people you’ve exchanged messages with will appear among your chats.
New messages from people not already on your friends list will appear under Message requests.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Sending and receiving messages on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?