You’re prompted to apply a required update for a game or app on your Xbox 360
Note If you see an error code when you try to start a game or an app, search for the code in the Error & status code search tool. If you're having trouble when you try to update your Xbox 360 console, visit Troubleshoot problems with an update to your Xbox 360 console.
You see the following message when you start a game or an app:
An update is available for this game from Xbox Live.
Do you want to apply this update now?
Xbox game and app updates download to your Xbox console. Generally, updates fix problems, add features, or prepare for new Xbox Live content.
You'll be prompted to install available updates when you start the game or app. You must be connected to Xbox Live to update a game or app. Most updates are fairly small and install automatically within a few minutes.
Solution 1: Check the status of Xbox Live
Check for service alerts on the Xbox Live status page, or see if an Xbox Live service alert appears at the top of this page. If there are any service alerts, wait a while and then try again.
Solution 2: Make sure you can connect to Xbox Live
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you’re prompted to do so.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
If you receive a connection error, try using the Xbox 360 Connection Error Solution.
Solution 3: Clear your system cache
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Select Storage or Memory.
- Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)
- Select Clear System Cache.
- When you’re prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.
Solution 4: Delete and reinstall the game or app
You might be able to correct problems related to downloading a game or app update by deleting the game or app from your console and then installing it again.
If you’ve installed the game or app on your hard drive, you’ll have to install it again after you delete it. If you purchased the game or app from Xbox Live, you’ll also have to download it again after you delete it. Don't worry, you won’t be charged for content you’ve already purchased. For information about how to download content you‘ve already purchased, see View your Xbox Live download history on your computer or Xbox 360 console.
Warning When you delete a game, saved game information is also deleted. So, before you delete a game, copy your saved games to an Xbox 360 Memory Unit or a USB flash drive. For information about how to copy content to a storage device, see Copy, move, or delete Xbox saved games, profiles and avatar items.
From the Xbox Dashboard, go to settings and select System.
- Select Storage, and then select Memory Unit.
- Select Games and Apps.
- Find and select the game or app you want to delete.
- Select Delete.
- Redownload the game or app:
- If you downloaded the game or app from Xbox Live:
- Go to settings and select Account.
- Select Download History.
- Browse your download history. Select the item, and then select Download Again.
Note If you want to see the charges on your Xbox Live account, see Check your Xbox Live subscription and transaction history.
- If you downloaded the game or app from Xbox Live:
- If you originally installed the game from a disc, install the game again.
Solution 5: Try a direct modem connection
If your Xbox 360 console connects to the Internet through a router or gateway (as opposed to directly through a modem), try connecting the console directly to the modem. Here's how:
- Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your Xbox 360 console and the other end into your modem.
- On the console, sign in to Xbox Live and start the game.
- Choose to download the game update.
If you can download game updates when the Xbox 360 console is connected directly to the modem, but you can’t otherwise, there might be a problem with your router or gateway configuration. Contact the manufacturer of your router or gateway for help troubleshooting this problem.
Solution 6: Contact your ISP
If you’ve tried all of these solutions and still can’t download a game update, your Internet service provider (ISP) may help resolve this issue.
Frequently asked questions about updating games and apps
What happens if I don’t install the update?
You can still play your game even if you don’t install the update. However, you won’t be able to connect to Xbox Live while you play, and you won’t have access to multiplayer or online features.
What if I don’t have access to Xbox Live?
If you don’t have access to Xbox Live, you can use the game or app offline, but you can’t update it.
How do I know if my game is up to date?
Make sure your console is connected to Xbox Live, and then start the game or app. If an update is available, you’ll be prompted to install it. Otherwise you’re up to date and good to go.
Do I have to buy additional content for an update?
No. Although some updates prepare a game for new content, you don’t have to purchase anything to get the update.
I’m having a problem with an update.
Note If you see an error code when you try to install an update, visit Xbox 360 system update error codes.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "You’re prompted to apply a required update for a game or app on your Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?