Killer Instinct on Windows 10 FAQ
Have a question about Killer Instinct on Windows 10? Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.
On this page
What is Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition?
Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition is a content bundle containing the following additional games and add-on items:
- Full games:
- Killer Instinct: Ultra Edition, Killer Instinct: Season 2 Ultra Edition, Killer Instinct: Season 3 Ultra Edition, Killer Instinct Classic*, Killer Instinct 2 Classic*
- Gargos Color Pack, Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker, Killer Instinct: Season 2 Combo Breaker, Killer Instinct: Season 3 Combo Breaker, Ultimate Arbiter Pack
- Aganos, ARIA, Cinder, Eyedol, Fulgore, Gargos, General RAAM, Glacius, Hisako, Jago, Kan-Ra, Kim Wu, Maya, Mira, Orchid, Rash, Riptor, Sabrewulf, Sadria, Shadow Jago, Spinal, Thunder, TJ Combo, Tusk
* Killer Instinct Classic and Killer Instinct Classic 2 are only available to play on Xbox One.
To purchase Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition, visit the online Store.
What happens if I already own Killer Instinct and additional content, and I purchase the Definitive Edition?
All existing Killer Instinct games will continue to be free to play, with additional content available to buy. If you already own content and purchase the Definitive Edition, you’ll receive the additional content, which will be available to install on your Xbox One and Windows 10 device.
To install on Xbox One:
- While on the Home screen, scroll to the right, and then press the A button on your controller to open My games & apps > Games.
- Locate the game, and then press the Menu button .
- Select Manage game.
- In the Ready to install column, select the add-on you want to install.
- Press the A button to install the add-on.
On Windows 10, the add-on items and characters will automatically be available when you play the game. To install Killer Instinct: Ultra Edition, Killer Instinct 2: Ultra Edition, and Killer Instinct 3: Ultra Edition:
- open the Store app and make sure you’re signed in.
- In the search bar at the top, enter “Killer Instinct.”
- Select the games that are available to install, and then select Install.
Note Killer Instinct Classic and Killer Instinct Classic 2 are only available to play on Xbox One.
Killer Instinct is an Xbox Play Anywhere title. What does that mean?
When you purchase an Xbox Play Anywhere title digitally, it’s yours to play on both Xbox and Windows 10. You only need to purchase the game once via Microsoft Store on your Xbox or Windows 10 device and it’ll appear in your game library wherever you sign in.
If you’ve purchased the game or content on Xbox and want to play on your Windows 10 device, sign in on your Windows 10 device. If the game is already installed on your device, it’ll appear in your list of apps; otherwise, you can install it by opening the Store and selecting My library.
If you’ve purchased the game or content on Windows 10 and want to play on your Xbox console, sign in on your console and go to My games & apps > Games. If the game is already installed, it’ll appear in your game list; otherwise, you can find it in the Ready to install tab.
To learn more about Xbox Play Anywhere, and to see which games are supported, visit the Xbox Play Anywhere website. You can also visit Troubleshoot problems with Xbox Play Anywhere games if you’re having any problems finding Killer Instinct or content on your Xbox One or Windows 10 device.
Killer Instinct also supports cross play between Xbox and Windows 10 while playing multiplayer games, allowing you to play against friends on different platforms. See Cross play on Windows 10 and Xbox One for more info.
If you’ve already played Killer Instinct on Xbox One and start a game on Windows 10 using the same account, you may get the following warning message:
Save File Updated Needed
2 Dev 46353306
You need to use Killer Instinct on your Xbox One console to update your Save File for use on Windows 10
A Exit Game B Continue without updating
- Press the A button to exit the game on Windows 10.
- Launch the game on your Xbox One, and select a new fight in Season 3.
- Once your game has saved, wait up to 10 minutes for cloud sync to complete, and then re-launch the game on Windows 10.
If you press the B button and continue without saving, any previous Killer Instinct progress saved under your gamertag on Xbox One will be deleted, and your progress will continue the next time you sync your Windows 10 device.
I was prompted to upgrade my operating system to download Killer Instinct. Which version of Windows do I need?
To download and install Killer Instinct on Windows 10, you need a device running version 1607, with OS Build 14393.0 or later.
Additionally, your device must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10. If you have a 32-bit version, you will not be able to play Killer Instinct.
To check if you're running an appropriate version of Windows on your device, see How to find out if a game will work on your Windows device.
Do I need additional software to play the game?
Yes, you need to have DirectX 11 or later installed to play Killer Instinct. To check which version of DirectX is installed on your device, see How to find out if a game will work on your Windows device.
What are the hardware requirements?
The following table lists the minimum and recommended configurations for Killer Instinct on Windows 10.
|OS||Windows 10 64-bit (1607 update)||Windows 10 64-bit (1607 update)|
|Processor||Intel Core i5-750 2.67GHz or
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
|Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz or
AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz
|GPU (graphics card)||
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
|HD space||30 GB||30 GB|
|RAM (memory)||4 GB||8 GB|
|VRAM (video memory)||
NVIDIA – 1.5 GB
NVIDIA – 2 GB
|DirectX||DirectX 11+||DirectX 11+|
To check if your Windows 10 device has enough available disk space, find out which graphics card is installed, and view other important details about your device, see How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device. If the refresh rate of the game is running too high, there are a couple of changes you can make to try to resolve this:
- Reduce the frame rate setting on your graphics card to at least 60Hz.
- Reduce the refresh rate of your monitor to 60Hz.
What happens if I download the game on a device that doesn't meet the hardware requirements?
We recommend that you check the device specifications before you buy the game to make sure your device meets the minimum requirements. For more info, see How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device.
If you've already purchased the game, you can try adjusting the in-game graphics options. To do this:
- From the main menu, press Tab to select Help & Options.
- Highlight Graphics, and then select it by pressing Enter.
You can then make changes to your settings. Here is a list of your options:
- Fullscreen – Changes whether the game is played in full screen mode or windowed mode in Windows 10.
- Resolution – Adjusts the resolution of the game. The supported resolutions are: 640x360, 1024x576, 1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900, and 1920x1080.
- Motion Blur – Toggles on and off the effect of the game getting a little blurry when fast action is taking place on screen.
- Reflections – Allows reflections to be toggled on or off in each stage of the game.
- Ambient Occlusion – Toggles on or off a deeper shadow in the corners of objects and adds more definition and detail to the edges of objects.
- Bloom – Turns on or off intense bright areas. With bloom on, any light source will be more intense near the source.
- Anti-Aliasing – Makes the outside edges of objects smoother. If it's toggled off, the outside of objects can look jagged when viewed close up.
- Shadow Quality – Options are high and low. It makes the shadows cast by fighters higher or lower quality depending on the setting.
- Texture Quality – Options are high and low. It gives textures on the characters higher or lower quality depending on the setting.
If the game still doesn’t run correctly on your device, you can request a refund on any item you purchased within 5 days of purchase. For more info, see the Microsoft Store - Returns page.
How big is the game?
The size of Killer Instinct will change as the season progresses. To check the size of the game:
- See the Killer Instinct Store listing or search for “Killer Instinct” in the Microsoft Store.
- In the Additional information section on the game detail screen, Approximate size is displayed.
Note This size does not include add-on items.
To check if your device has enough available disk space, see How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device.
How long does it take to download the game?
The download time varies depending on the speed of your Internet connection. On average, it takes about 3 hours to download 30 GB over a 20-megabits per second (Mbps) connection.
While the game is downloading, do not cancel the download or shut down your computer. The Killer Instinct icon will appear on your Home screen once the download is complete.
Note You may be subject to additional Internet fees while you download the game.
If you're experiencing a slow download of the game, try the following:
- Make sure that you're not downloading more than one game, app, or update at a time.
- If you have any other devices on your network that might be using bandwidth (for example, streaming a movie), pause them until your download has completed.
- Check for any Windows 10 updates available for your device. Go to Settings and then select Update & security to see if there are any updates available.
- Troubleshoot potential connectivity issues by visiting the Fix Network Connection issues page.
What kind of accessory device do I need to control the game?
You can use a keyboard or an Xbox One controller. If you use a controller, you'll need either a USB cable to connect it to your device or an Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
If you have an Xbox 360 fight stick, you may be able to use this with your Windows 10 device to play Killer Instinct. Visit Killer Instinct fight stick support for more details and to see if your device is supported.
Do I need a Microsoft account to play the game?
Yes, you need a Microsoft account to play Killer Instinct. If you already play games on Xbox 360 or Xbox One, you can use the same account you use for those games. For more details, see the Microsoft account FAQ.
Do I need to be online or connected to the Internet to play Killer Instinct on a Windows 10 device?
If you’re planning to be in an area with no online coverage, such as a long-distance flight or a sailing excursion, you can prepare your Windows 10 device to allow you to play Killer Instinct offline.
For details on how to configure your Windows 10 device for offline play, visit Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode.
The following features are available while playing offline:
- Access single-player game modes (Player vs CPU, CPU vs CPU, Dojo, Practice, Combo Breaker Training, Story, Survival)
- Access fight stats
The following features are only available while playing online:
- Purchasing items from the Store
- Shadow Lab
- Shadow Lords mode
- Playing multiplayer games
- Accessing leaderboards
If you play offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from Microsoft Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline.
If you earn any achievements while playing offline, they will sync to your account the next time you sign in to Xbox Live on your device. Your game save progress will also sync when you sign in to Xbox Live.
You also won't be able to use the benefits of Xbox Live while offline. See Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account? below for details.
I’m stuck while trying to play. How do I continue?
Killer Instinct has in-game help that you can access at any time. From the main menu, press Tab to select Help & Options, and then select Help.
You can also visit the Killer Instinct community to engage with other players, as well as keep up to date with the latest news on the game.
How many times can I download and install the game?
You can download and install Killer Instinct on up to 10 different Windows 10 devices using the same Microsoft account.
Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account?
When you connect Killer Instinct to the Xbox Live service, you get the following benefits while you play on your Windows 10 device.
Note You must connect to Xbox Live through the Xbox app to launch Killer Instinct. See "Do I need to be online or connected to the Internet to play?"
- Stay connected to the Xbox Live community, view achievements, watch game clips, and more.
- Store your saved games in the cloud and continue playing on a different Windows 10 device or Xbox One console right from where you left off.
- Play with your Xbox Wireless Controller on Windows 10 using the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- Easily record, narrate, and share your most epic gaming moments with built-in Game DVR.
- To launch Game DVR while playing, press the Windows logo key + G.
- To manage your Game DVR settings, launch the Xbox app, go to Settings, and then select Game DVR.
- Any game clips that you capture while playing Killer Instinct can be accessed via the Xbox app. See Benefits of running the Xbox app while playing a game on Windows 10 for more information.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Killer Instinct on Windows 10 FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?