"Sorry, there was a problem requiring your password for sign-in" error on Xbox 360
You see one of the following error messages when you try to require a password for sign-in on your Xbox 360 console:
Sorry, there was a problem requiring your password for sign-in on other consoles. Your password is still remembered for other consoles. Try again later, or try requiring password on sign-in from www.xbox.com. Visit xbox.com/security if you think someone else is accessing your account.
Sorry, there was a problem requiring your password for sign-in on this console. Your password is still remembered on this console. Try again later, or try requiring password on sign-in from www.xbox.com. Visit xbox.com/security if you think someone else is accessing your account.
This problem occurs when you try to require a password to access your profile on other Xbox consoles.
To resolve the problem, try the following solutions.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
Solution 2: Require a password to sign in
You'll have to disable automatic sign-in to your console with your Microsoft account password. You can only make this change online, on the My Account page. Follow these steps to remove your Microsoft account password so that others can't access your Xbox Live profile without it. Here's how:
- Go to account.xbox.com.
- Sign in with the Microsoft account (email address and password) that's associated with your Xbox Live account. If you've forgotten your password, see the Lost Password Solution.
- In the upper right corner, select your gamertag and select Xbox Settings.
- Select Xbox 360 profile protection on the right side.
This displays the number of consoles where a sign-in password is not required.
- Select Require Profile Download to require that you download your profile from Xbox Live, using your Microsoft account password, before using your profile on a console. All existing copies of your profile will no longer work, and any profile changes or achievements not saved to Xbox Live will be lost.
Important If you think you have a compromised password, you should also change your Microsoft account password. Here's how:
- Go to your Microsoft account and sign in with your Microsoft account credentials.
- Select Security & password.
- Under Password, select Change your password.
Solution 3: Remove and redownload your profile
You can remove your profile from your Xbox 360 console, which will remove old saved passwords from the console. Follow the steps in How to add or remove an Xbox profile on Xbox 360 and delete your profile only. Then redownload your profile:
- Press the Guide button on the controller.
- Select Download Profile.
Note Not seeing Download Profile? This means that you're signed in under another profile. Press X to sign out, confirm, and then select Download Profile.
- At the bottom of the Download Profile screen, select Download Profile.
- Enter the email address of the Microsoft account that's associated with your Xbox Live profile. If you don't know it, see Find your Microsoft account email address.
- Enter your Microsoft account password. If you've forgotten it, you'll need to reset your password.
Note If your account is an Xbox Live child account, the parent's Microsoft account information is required to download the profile.
- After you download your profile, you'll be asked if you want the console to remember your password.
- If you want to sign in without being prompted for a password each time, check the Remember Password option.
- Leave the Remember Password option unchecked if you want the console to require a password to sign in to your account. This is a good idea if others in your home can easily access your console, or if you downloaded your profile at a friend's house.
You can restrict access to your Xbox Live profile on any console by requiring your Microsoft account password to sign in to your profile. For information, see Manage your sign-in preferences on your Xbox 360 console.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the ""Sorry, there was a problem requiring your password for sign-in" error on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?