Manage your sign-in preferences on your Xbox 360 console
You have a variety of options for managing your sign-in preferences on your Xbox 360 console. You can save your password on your console so you don't have to enter it each time. Or, for added security, you can require the console to ask for a password each time you sign in.
You can also remove your password from other Xbox 360 consoles remotely so that others can't access your account without your permission.
This page describes how to manage these sign-in preferences.
On this page
Choose whether to require a password during sign-in
When you first set up your Xbox 360 console, or after you download your Xbox Live profile to a console, you can choose whether you want the console to remember your password. By default, your password will not be saved.
- If you want to sign in without being prompted for a password each time, check the Remember Password option.
- Keep in mind that when you choose this option, anyone else who uses your console can sign in as you and use your account information. This includes any credit card information you might have saved.
- Leave the Remember Password option unchecked if you want the console to require a password to sign in to your account. This is a good idea if others in your home can easily access your console, or if you downloaded your profile at a friend's house.
Change from requiring a password to not requiring one
If you've set up your console to require a password each time you use it, and you don't want to do this anymore, you can change this option the next time you sign in.
When prompted for your Microsoft account password, select the Remember Password option. You won't be prompted again.
Change from not requiring a password to requiring one
If you currently don't require a password but decide you want the extra security of doing so, here's how to change it:
- Sign in to your console using your Xbox Live-enabled gamertag and password.
- Go to settings, and then select Account Management.
- Scroll to the right, and then select Account Security.
- Select Password at Sign-In.
- Select Require Password Here. When prompted, click Continue.
The next time you sign in with your Xbox Live gamertag, the console will prompt you for your Microsoft account password.
Remove your password from other Xbox 360 consoles remotely
If you download your Xbox Live profile to another console and it's not password protected, or if your password becomes compromised, you can remotely remove the password so that no one else can access your profile. There are two ways to do this:
Option 1: Change your password. The next time anyone tries to sign in on any console where your password has been saved, the sign-in will fail if they don't know the new password.
Option 2: Remove your profile from all Xbox 360 consoles where it's been previously downloaded. Here's how:
- Sign in to your account on Xbox.com.
- Select Xbox settings from your gamertag drop-down.
- Select Xbox 360 profile protection.
- Select Require Profile Download.
Once you select Require Profile Download, it will take effect immediately. Your profile and history will remain on Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and Xbox 360 consoles. But anyone (including you) who wants to use an Xbox 360 console with your profile on it will be required to redownload your profile to connect to Xbox Live.
For more information about how to download your profile, see Download your Xbox Live profile to a different Xbox 360 console or redownload it.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Manage your sign-in preferences on your Xbox 360 console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?