How to set the Family Timer on your Xbox 360 console
|Watch the following video to learn about the Family Timer.|
Watch the video Set the Family Timer to help limit screen time. Note This video is available in English only.
Use the Family Timer to limit the amount of time your family can use your console on a daily or weekly basis. Family members can see how much time remains by pressing the Guide button on the Xbox controller. When the time expires, the console shuts down and can't be used again until the Family Timer automatically resets the next day or week.
To set the Family Timer
- On your console, go to Settings and then select Family.
- Select On to turn on Console Safety.
- Enter a 4-button pass code using your controller.
- Select Family Timer.
- Select whether you want to set a Daily or Weekly timer.
- Use the left stick to increase or decrease the time range, and then select Continue.
- Select Save and Exit.
When the Family Timer is on, notifications will appear 1 hour, 30 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes before the time runs out. These give players sufficient warning so they can save their games. However, when one of these notifications appears, you can add time or disable the timer altogether by entering your pass code.
To add time or suspend the Family Timer
- When a Family Timer notification appears, press the Guide button to see the Family Timer options.
- Enter your pass code using your controller.
- Choose to add more time, suspend the timer or turn the console off.
Note For information about controlling the Xbox Live experience, see Xbox 360 online safety and privacy settings.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "How to set the Family Timer on your Xbox 360 console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?