MKV support on Xbox One
MKV videos can now be played on Xbox One.
The MKV format (the extension used for the Matroska Media Container) can support multiple video and audio codecs, such as H.264 and AAC audio. In general, containers concern how video and audio data is laid out and what supplementary information is used to describe those A/V streams. Containers can also include data that complements A/V streams, such as the title, languages of the audio streams, subtitle or caption tracks, fonts for those subtitles, images, chapter information and menus. MKV is a highly flexible format that supports many of these container features.
The Xbox One tries to support the MKV features that are most important to most customers. Not all features of the MKV format will be implemented, and features will be provided in the order in which they provide the most value.
MKV container feature support
MKV container features are supported on Xbox One in the following ways:
- If one or more video tracks are present, the first track will be played.
- If one or more audio tracks are present, the first track will be played.
- If one or more captions tracks are present, the captions will not render, but the file will load and play.
- If one or more fonts or images are present, captions and images will not render, although the file will load and play.
- Menu information is not supported and will not be displayed, but the file will load and play.
- Chapter information is not supported, but the file will load and play.
- If files with chapters refer to supplemental files, the supplemental files will not play.
- Thumbnail images are available when browsing for files on USB drives using the file browser.
This set of features should allow playback of most MKV files if they contain supported codecs.
MKV codec support
MKV files that contain video and audio tracks encoded with the following codecs are expected to play on Xbox One:
|Matroska ID||MSFT Media Foundation MF_MT_SUBTYPE||Description||FourCC or WAV identifiers|
|V_MPEG4/MS/V3||MFVideoFormat_MP43||Microsoft MPEG 4 codec version 3||MP43|
|V_MPEG4/ISO/ASP||MFVideoFormat_MP4V||MPEG-4 part 2 video||MP4V|
|V_MS/VFW/FOURCC||Maps to several codecs usually supported in the AVI format that are available on the console.|
|A_AAC||MFAudioFormat_AAC||Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)||WAVE_FORMAT_MPEG_HEAAC|
|A_AC3||MFAudioFormat_Dolby_AC3||Dolby Digital (AC-3)|
|A_MPEG/L3||MFAudioFormat_MP3||MPEG Audio Layer-3 (MP3)||WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3|
|A_MPEG/L1||MFAudioFormat_MPEG||MPEG-1 audio payload||WAVE_FORMAT_MPEG|
|A_PCM/INT/BIG||MFAudioFormat_PCM||Uncompressed PCM audio||WAVE_FORMAT_PCM|
|A_PCM/INT/LIT||MFAudioFormat_PCM||Uncompressed PCM audio||WAVE_FORMAT_PCM|
|A_PCM/FLOAT/IEEE||MFAudioFormat_Float||Uncompressed IEEE floating-point audio||WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT|
Technical details regarding codecs
Technical details are available at the following websites:
Windows Dev Centre: Audio Subtype GUIDs
Windows Dev Centre: Video Subtype GUIDs
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "MKV support on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?