Use the Xbox One Blu-ray player with Narrator
The Xbox One Blu-ray player works with Narrator, a built-in screen reader that reads text on your screen aloud and describes events, so you can use your Xbox One with partial or no vision.
There are keyboard shortcuts to help you do common actions. For best results, connect a USB keyboard to your Xbox One when using Narrator. The following info assumes the use of an Xbox One controller and a connected USB keyboard.
Press and hold the Xbox button on your controller, then press the Menu button. Press these buttons again to turn Narrator off.
If you’re using a keyboard, press the Windows logo key + Enter together to start and stop Narrator. On many keyboards, the Windows logo key is located on the bottom row of keys, to the left or right of the Alt key.
Open the app
- Sign in with your profile on Xbox One.
- Insert a DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
- If your Xbox doesn’t have the free Blu-ray player app yet, you’ll be taken to the Store page for it. Select the Get button to download and install the app.
- Once the app is installed, select Launch to open the app.
To close the app, press the Xbox button to go to the Home screen. If you go home from the app, Movies & TV will be in focus. Press the Menu button on your controller and select Quit.
Note Narrator can’t read the options on a disc’s top (or main) menu. To play the disc, use the app controls described here.
On your keyboard, press Esc to access play controls, or press the View button on your controller to access all disc controls. Use the left stick or D-pad to go left, right, up, or down. The bottom-right button is the Control Panel. Use this to hide or open controls for subtitle, angle selection, numbers for chapter selection, and other options.
The following keyboard shortcuts are available in the app with a connected USB keyboard.
The following shortcuts are available in the app with a connected USB keyboard:
|Press this key||To do this|
|Ctrl + Q||Go back one chapter|
|Esc||Open play controls|
|Enter, Spacebar, or Ctrl + P||Play or pause (when watching a video)|
Start a disc
- Load a disc.
- Wait 20 seconds or until you hear sound for the top menu.
- The default menu option is probably Play. Press Enter (or the A button on your controller) to select it.
- If the disc doesn’t play, press Esc (or the View button on your controller), then press the Right arrow (or go right using your controller) until you reach Resume, then press Enter. This should play the disc.
Move around in a disc you’re watching
- While you're watching, press Esc.
- Use the Left arrow to get to the Next button and select it by pressing Enter (or the A button on your controller).
- Using the Left arrow, go further left to reach buttons for fast forward, rewind, or skipping to the next or previous chapter.
- While you're watching, press the View button on your controller.
- Go left until you reach the Audio button.
- Press Enter (or the A button on your controller) to change soundtracks—for instance, to switch from English to French. Each press will change to the next soundtrack; soundtracks are not labeled or otherwise announced.
Eject a disc
- Press Esc (or the View button on your controller), go up, then go left until you reach the Eject button.
- Press the A button on your controller to eject.
For support for Narrator or other Microsoft assistive technology, contact Xbox Support.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Use the Xbox One Blu-ray player with Narrator" issue you were reading about or a different issue?