Forza Horizon 4 FAQ
Have a question about Forza Horizon 4? Check here for answers to common questions.
On this page
Forza Horizon 4 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title. What does that mean?
When you purchase an Xbox Play Anywhere title digitally, it’s yours to play on both Xbox and Windows 10. You only need to purchase the game once via the Store on your Xbox or Windows 10 device and it will appear in your game library wherever you sign in.
If you have purchased the game or content on Xbox and you want to play on your Windows 10 device, sign in on your device. If the game is already installed on your device, it will appear in your list of apps; otherwise, you can install it by opening the Store and selecting My library.
If you have purchased the game or content on Windows 10 and you want to play on your Xbox console, sign in on your console and go to My games & apps. If the game is already installed, it will appear in your game list; otherwise, you can find it in the Ready to install tab.
To learn more about Xbox Play Anywhere, and to see which games are supported, visit the Xbox Play Anywhere website. You can also visit Troubleshoot problems with Xbox Play Anywhere games if you are having any problems finding Forza Horizon 4 or content on your Xbox One or Windows 10 device.
Forza Horizon 4 also supports cross play between Xbox and Windows 10 for multiplayer mode.
See Cross play on Windows 10 and Xbox One for more info.
I was prompted to upgrade my Windows device to play Forza Horizon 4. Which version of Windows do I need?
To download and install Forza Horizon 4 on Windows 10, you need a device running version 1703, with OS Build 15063.0 or later.
Additionally, your device must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10. If you have a 32-bit version, you will not be able to play Forza Horizon 4.
To see whether you're running an appropriate version of Windows on your device:
- Go to Start, enter About your PC, and then select About your PC.
- Look under PC for Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows your PC is running. Make sure this is at least 1703.
- Look under PC for OS Build and make sure this is at least 15063.0.
- Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows.
If you don't see a version listed, you need to update before you can download the game. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update. See if any relevant updates are available.
- See the Windows Update: FAQ page to upgrade your device to Windows 10 with the latest update.
If you have version K or KN of Windows 10, you may need to download additional software. These are available as a free download. To do this, visit https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3099229.
I’m signed up to the Windows Insider and/or Xbox Insider Program. Can I play Forza Horizon 4?
If you are part of the Windows Insider Program, or you have a device running a version higher than 1703, you may experience some problems downloading and installing Forza Horizon 4 on your device. We encourage you to use the Feedback Hub to report any problems you have while running an Insider build of Windows. To do this:
- Select the Windows logo key and enter "Feedback Hub".
- Once the app opens, select the Feedback icon on the left.
- Click the Add new feedback button.
- Select the problem button and enter some details in the text boxes below.
- In the category selection boxes at the bottom, select Preview Programs for the first box, and Windows Insider Forums and Support for the second box.
- Select Submit to send your feedback.
If you are part of the Xbox Insider Program and are having issues playing Forza Horizon 4:
- While you’re experiencing the problem, press and hold the Xbox button on your controller, then select Report a problem.
- See if your problem has already been listed. If not, select Add new problem.
- Under categories, select Games, and then select Forza Horizon 4.
- Enter a detailed description of the problem you’re experiencing, and then select whether to include a screenshot or video if it illustrates the problem.
- Once completed, select Done to submit your feedback.
Note For both the Feedback Hub and Xbox Insider Hub, you may not receive feedback directly from the team investigating your problem.
Do I need additional software to play Forza Horizon 4?
Yes, you need to have DirectX 12 with feature level 11 or later installed to play Forza Horizon 4.
If you’re not sure if you have DirectX 12 installed, here’s how you can check:
- Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "dxdiag" and then press Enter to launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- On the System tab in the System Information window, look for the DirectX version listed. The version must be 12 or higher to run Forza Horizon 4.
- On the Display tab for your graphics card, look under Drivers for the Feature Levels supported and make sure that 11_0 or 11_1 appear in the list.
What are the hardware requirements?
The hardware requirements for Forza Horizon 4 will vary depending if you are playing on Xbox or Windows 10. Visit the Product Detail Page for each platform to determine the size of the game, the system requirements (particularly for Windows 10 devices), as well as any additional info about the game.
Note As this is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, you can purchase digitally on Xbox or Windows 10 and you will own both versions of the game. The Product Detail Pages are called out separately for each platform for information only – you do not need to purchase the game twice.
To view the installation requirements for Xbox, visit the Forza Horizon 4 product detail page.
To check if your Xbox has enough available disc space to install Forza Horizon 4:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to go to the Home screen, and then scroll down to My games & apps.
- Check the available drive space displayed at the bottom-left corner of the screen. If you do not have enough space, you’ll either need to remove some of your existing games and apps or add an external drive to your console.
If you’re using an external storage device with your console and you want to change the default installation location:
- Press the Xbox button to bring up the guide.
- Select System > Settings > System > Storage.
- Under Manage storage, your default storage location is indicated by a triangle in the top-right corner.
To view the system requirements for Windows 10, visit the Forza Horizon 4 product detail page. The “Additional information” section will give you the approximate download size, indicating how large the game is.
If you don’t know your GPU (graphics processor) or VRAM (video memory), here’s how you can check:
- Go to Start > Settings > System.
- On the Display tab, scroll to the bottom and select Advanced display settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Display adapter properties. The Adapter Type will display the name of the GPU, and the Dedicated Memory will display the VRAM.
See How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device for more information about how to check your device.
To determine how much available disk space your Windows 10 device has and change the location that your game will save to:
- Go to Settings > System > Storage.
- The used disk space for each drive on your device will be displayed. Check to make sure you have enough available space on your hard drive.
See Find out how much storage your PC has for more info about how to check your Windows 10 device.
What happens if I download Forza Horizon 4 on a device that doesn't meet the hardware requirements?
We recommend that you check the device specifications first to make sure your device meets the minimum requirements.
If you've already downloaded the game, you can try adjusting the in-game graphics options in the game settings.
How long does it take to download Forza Horizon 4?
The download time can vary depending on the speed of your internet connection. On average, it takes about 4 hours to download 40 GB over a 20-Mbps connection.
Follow the steps in the What are the hardware requirements? section to find the size of the game on Xbox and Windows 10. These may vary depending on which device you are installing to.
The table below represents estimated download times based on current download speed.
Note This information is intended as a guide only, not an actual representation of download time. Bandwidth will be constrained and download time will increase during activities such as streaming content, playing games, or game streaming from your Xbox One to a Windows 10 PC.
|Current download speed||30-GB file||40-GB file||50-GB file||60-GB file||70-GB file|
|2 Mb/s||33.3 hours||44.4 hours||55.6 hours||66.7 hours||77.8 hours|
|5 Mb/s||13.3 hours||17.8 hours||22.2 hours||26.7 hours||31.1 hours|
|10 Mb/s||6.7 hours||8.9 hours||11.1 hours||13.3hours||15.6 hours|
|20 Mb/s||3.3 hours||4.4 hours||5.6 hours||6.7 hours||7.8 hours|
|50 Mb/s||1.3 hours||1.8 hours||2.2 hours||2.7 hours||3.1 hours|
|100 Mb/s||0.7 hours||0.9 hours||1.1 hours||1.3 hours||1.6 hours|
|200 Mb/s||0.3 hours||0.4 hours||0.6 hours||0.7 hours||0.8 hours|
If you're installing a 20-GB file and it's 25 percent downloaded (15 GB remaining) and your connection speed is 10 Mb/s, it should take about 3.4 hours for the download to complete. (This assumes that the download speed stays the same.)
While you're downloading the game, do not cancel the download or shut down your computer. The Forza Horizon 4 icon will appear in the listed Installed Apps section of the Start menu on Xbox, and in My Library on your Windows 10 device.
Note You may be subject to additional internet fees while you download the game.
If you believe you’re experiencing a slow download of the game, visit Troubleshoot slow game or app downloads on Xbox One or Fix network connection issues in Windows for additional troubleshooting steps.
How do I get the best gaming experience while playing on Windows 10?
How do I get the best gaming experience while playing on Windows 10?
If you’re playing on Windows 10, make sure that your device meets the highest system requirements by checking the System Information. See the What are the hardware requirements? section for details on how to do this.
You can also enable Game Mode to prioritize your device’s resources for gameplay. Visit Use Game Mode while gaming on your PC for more info.
What kind of accessory device do I need to control Forza Horizon 4 on Windows 10?
You can use a mouse and keyboard or a game controller (Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller is recommended). If you use an Xbox One controller, you'll need either a USB cable to connect it to your device or an Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
You can also connect an Xbox One S or Xbox Design Lab controller to your device using Bluetooth. For more details, visit Using Xbox One Wireless Controllers on a PC.
Other USB game controllers supported by Windows may also work.
I have questions or problems with the in-game play experience. Where can I go for help?
If you’re stuck on a part of the game, you need some advice from other players on what to do next, or even want to give others hints and tips from your own experience, there are a couple of places you can go.
Do I need a Microsoft account to play Forza Horizon 4?
Yes, you'll need a Microsoft account to play Forza Horizon 4. If you already play games on Xbox 360 or Xbox One, you can use the same account you use for those games to also play on Windows 10.
Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play Forza Horizon 4?
If you’re planning to be in an area with no online coverage, such as a long-distance flight or a sailing excursion, you can prepare your Windows 10 device to allow you to play Forza Horizon 4 offline.
For details on how to configure your Windows 10 device for offline play, visit Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode.
If you play offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline.
If you earn any achievements while playing offline, they will sync to your account the next time you sign in to Xbox Live on your device. Your game save progress will also sync when you sign in to Xbox Live.
You also won't be able to use the benefits of Xbox Live while offline. See the Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account? section for details.
On how many devices can I install Forza Horizon 4?
On Xbox, you can install Forza Horizon 4 and play offline on your home console, as well as install and play on your friends’ consoles if you sign in to Xbox Live before playing.
On Windows 10, you can install Forza Horizon 4 and play offline on your main device (usually the first device you install the game on), and install on multiple devices if you sign in to Xbox Live before playing.
You can only be signed in at one place at a time while playing Forza Horizon 4, or any other title that supports Xbox Play Anywhere.
Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account?
When you connect Forza Horizon 4 to the Xbox Live service, you get the following benefits while you play on your Windows 10 device.
Note You must connect to Xbox Live through the Xbox app to launch Forza Horizon 4. See the Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play? above.
- Stay connected to the Xbox Live community, view achievements, watch game clips, and more.
- Store your saved games in the cloud and continue playing on a different PC right from where you left off.
- Play with your Xbox Wireless Controller on Windows 10 using the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- Easily record, narrate, and share your most epic gaming moments with built-in Game DVR:
- To launch Game DVR while playing, press the Windows logo key + G.
- To manage your Game DVR settings, open the Xbox app and go to Settings > Game DVR.
- Any game clips that you capture while playing Forza Horizon 4 can be accessed via the Xbox app. See Benefits of running the Xbox app while playing a game on Windows 10 for more information.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Forza Horizon 4 FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?