Stream media using Groove, Films & TV or Windows Media Player with Xbox 360
You can stream music, pictures and video to your Xbox 360 console from your computer by using Windows Media Player, Groove or Films & TV.
Note For more information about using Windows Media Center to stream content from your computer to your console, see Xbox 360 Windows Media Center support.
Step 1: Connect your console to your network (if you haven't already)
If you've already connected your console to your network, you can go to "Step 2: Set up Windows Media Player" below. If not, connect your console to your home network using a wired or wireless connection. Then, test to make sure that your Xbox console connects successfully. Here's how:
- From Xbox home, go to settings, and then select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network or Wireless network.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
If the network status shows as Connected, go to Step 2, below. Otherwise, select More Info on your console and follow the suggestions.
Step 2: Set up Windows Media Player
Which version do you want to use?
- Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7)
- In Windows Media Player, select Turn on media streaming from the Stream menu.
- On the page that appears, select Turn on media streaming.
- Name your media library, and then select OK.
- Windows Media Player 11 (Windows Vista)
- In Windows Media Player, right-click Library, and then select Media Sharing.
- Select Share my media, and then select OK.
- In Sharing Settings, locate the Xbox 360 device.
- Select Xbox 360, Allow, and then OK.
- If you want to apply more options, select Settings.
- When you've finished, select OK.
Step 3: Play or view music or videos
- From Xbox home, go to music, and then select Groove Music.
- Select the playlist of songs you want to play.
- From Xbox home, go to films & tv, and then select Microsoft Films & TV.
- Select the video you want to play.
Using the Groove app and the Films & TV app
For more information about using the Groove app, see Groove app on Xbox 360. To learn more about the Films & TV app, see Films & TV.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Stream media using Groove, Films & TV or Windows Media Player with Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?