How to update your Xbox One Controller on Windows 10
When you update your Xbox controller, you get the latest controller improvements. You can update your controller wirelessly or via USB.
For help with update problems, see Troubleshoot update issues with your Xbox One Controller.
On Windows 10, update your controller by using the Xbox Accessories app:
- Get the app from Microsoft Windows 10 by searching for "Xbox Accessories."
- Launch the Xbox Accessories app.
- Connect your Xbox One Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
Note You'll be prompted to update to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition if you haven't yet done so.
- When the controller is connected, you'll see the message “Update Required” if an update is mandatory. Install the update.
Note You can also go to Device Info to check for updates.
- The Xbox Accessories app is available only on Windows 10.
- Controllers that don't have a built-in 3.5-mm audio port must be updated using a USB connection and must have the Windows 10 TH2 Update (or later).
- Updating the controller over Bluetooth is not supported.
- Bluetooth requires PCs running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. See Windows Update: FAQ to learn how to get the latest Windows update.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "How to update your Xbox One Controller on Windows 10" issue you were reading about or a different issue?