You’re asked to update your account when downloading your Xbox Live profile
We may ask you to update the information for your Microsoft account when you download your Xbox Live profile on your console. This is because some information was not included when you created your account.
You may be asked to provide the following when you sign in on your console:
- First and last name: This lets us personalize your experience on Xbox and other Microsoft services. It also helps us verify your identity if your account is compromised, or if you forget your password.
- Date of birth (DOB): Xbox has a global policy that users under the age of 18 must have parental permission to create an account. Additionally, we must comply with child privacy requirements in the United States and South Korea. Therefore, we require a date of birth for all accounts.
- Security information: When you make sensitive financial or credential changes to your account, we need to make sure that it’s you making the changes. To do this, we’ll send you a security code by phone or email.
When prompted to update your Microsoft account information while using your Xbox One, follow the instructions displayed on your console. Additionally, you can sign in to your Microsoft account at account.microsoft.com to complete the necessary account updates. See the instructions below.
Here’s how to update your Microsoft account information for Xbox 360:
- In a browser, go to account.microsoft.com.
- If needed, sign in to the Microsoft account you want to change.
Note If you don't know your Microsoft account email address or password, use the Lost Account Solution or the Lost Password Solution.
To add your name:
- From the Account page, select Edit name under Hello!.
- Enter your first and last names, and then select Save.
To add your date of birth:
- Go to Your info.
- Select Edit your personal information. You may be asked to verify your identity by re-entering your password or a security code we’ll send to your alternate email or phone.
- Change your birthdate, and then select Save.
For child accounts, in some regions
If the birthdate on a Microsoft account says that it belongs to a child, there are different steps to take in regions such as the United States of America and the Republic of Korea, and other regions that regulate what children can do online.
- Using the parent's Microsoft account, sign in to your Family page on the Microsoft account website.
- Select Manage my child's profile info.
- For the child’s account that you want to change, select Edit this child's personal info and then follow the instructions.
Add or confirm your verification information
To add or confirm the phone number or alternate email address you use to verify your identity, follow these steps:
- Select Security.
- Select Update info
- If you’re using a phone number, select your country, enter your telephone or text number in the third box down, select either Text or Call under Verify phone via, and then select Next.
- If you’re using an alternate email address, enter the email address, and then select Next.
- Enter the code you received from the text or email sent to the number or email address you provided, select Next, and then follow the instructions to verify your identity.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "You’re asked to update your account when downloading your Xbox Live profile " issue you were reading about or a different issue?