Xbox Live messaging on Xbox 360
Use text or voice messaging to chat with your friends from your console or computer.
Send text or voice messages from an Xbox 360 console
- Sign in to Xbox Live.
- On your controller, press the Xbox button.
- Select Messages.
- Select Create New.
- Select Message.
- Select a gamertag or select Enter Gamertag.
- Select Add Text or Add Voice.
- Do one of the following:
- If you selected Add Text: Enter your message. You can use the keyboard on the screen or a USB keyboard that is attached to the USB port on the front of your console.
- If you selected Add Voice: Record a voice message using your headset or Kinect sensor.
Note After you record your voice message, you can review the message before sending it by pressing Play.
Send text messages from a computer
- Go to the Xbox Live Message Centre. Sign in with your Microsoft account if prompted.
- Select New message.
- Select the friends to whom you want to send a message, or enter their gamertags, and then select Add.
- Type your message, and then select Send.
Note Messages are retained for a maximum of 30 days, after which they are automatically deleted.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Xbox Live messaging on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?