How to manage your activity feed and privacy
The activity feed lets you post messages to friends and share your latest exploits. Make a general post by heading to the Community tab and selecting Got something to share?, or comment on any of your friends’ achievements, screenshots, game clips, or broadcasts.
Whose content can I see in activity feeds?
Adults can see screenshots, game clips, and broadcasts made by anyone else on Xbox Live. If that doesn't appeal to you, you can change this in Settings. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, select System > Settings, then choose Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox Live privacy > View details & customize > Game content.
Options under Game content include:
- You can share game clips and screenshots
- Others can see your game clips and screenshots
- You can see and upload community creations
- You can broadcast gameplay
- You can share content made using Kinect or another camera
Choose a designation from each option (e.g. Block) to narrow whose comments and content you can see or allow to see.
Default settings for teens and kids are more restrictive, but they can be adjusted by an adult in the family.
Who can communicate with me on my activity feed?
For adults, anyone can view and comment on what's going on in your activity feed. Other things they can do:
- Like something in your feed
- Share something in your feed with someone else
- See who liked or shared something
- Leave comments on something in your feed
- Read other peoples’ comments
Default settings for kids are more restrictive, but they can be adjusted by an adult in the family. For example, settings allow only a child’s friends to communicate with them. They can see other people’s content, but they need permission to add friends.
Teens have basically the same default settings as adults.
To change your activity feed preferences, update your privacy settings. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, select System > Settings, then choose Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox Live privacy > View details & customize > Communication & multiplayer.
Options under Communication & multiplayer include:
- You can join multiplayer games
- You can play with people outside of Xbox Live
- Others can communicate with voice, text, or invites
- You can communicate outside of Xbox Live with voice and text
- You can use video for communications
- Others can see your activity feed
Choose a designation from each option (e.g. Friends) to narrow who can see your feed and communicate with you.
What else can affect my activity feed?
A couple of settings will share achievements and game captures automatically to your activity feed. To change these settings, press the Xbox button to open the guide, select System > Settings, then choose Preferences > Activity feed.
For more info on managing your child’s privacy settings, see Change your child’s Xbox privacy and online safety settings.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "How to manage your activity feed and privacy" issue you were reading about or a different issue?