Error 80153021 occurs when making a purchase on Xbox One or Xbox 360
You see the following error code and message when you try to make a purchase on your Xbox One or Xbox 360 console:
Status code: 80153021.
This may mean one of the following:
- The Xbox Live service is temporarily unavailable.
- You have an outstanding balance on your Microsoft account.
- Your billing information is incomplete.
- Your Microsoft account country/region doesn’t match your PayPal country/region.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
Solution 2: Resolve any outstanding balance
If you have a payment option tied to an Xbox subscription that has an outstanding balance, you'll have to settle the balance owed before you can make a purchase on your console.
Here’s how to pay your past due balance online:
- Sign in to the Services & subscriptions page with your Microsoft account.
- Find your past due subscription in the list. The amount past due will be in red.
- Select Pay now, and then follow the instructions to pay the balance due.
Note If your subscription is past due, adding a digital code will not settle the balance you owe. You’ll need to settle the outstanding balance using the steps above before redeeming your digital code.
Solution 3: Update your billing information
Make sure your billing information is up to date. To do so, see one of the following pages:
- Update your billing contact information on Xbox One
- Update your billing contact information on Xbox 360
- Update your billing contact information online
Solution 4: Verify that your Microsoft account country/region matches your PayPal country/region
If you recently moved to a new locale, you’ll need to update your settings and your billing information to match the new locale. To make sure that your Microsoft account country/region matches your payment option country/locale, see How to update your Microsoft account if you’re moving to a new country or region.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 80153021 occurs when making a purchase on Xbox One or Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?