Error CP205 occurs when making a purchase on Xbox One
You see the following error code and message when you try to change the security code for your payment option while making a purchase on your Xbox One console:
This payment option won't work. Use a different or new way to pay. If you have questions, please ask your bank.
This means that there was a problem authorizing your payment option.
Try the following solutions to resolve the issue.
Solution 1: Contact your bank or financial institution
Your purchase might have failed for one of the following reasons:
- The payment option hasn't been activated.
- The payment was declined due to insufficient funds.
- The payment option can't accept online purchases or automatic billing.
- The company that issued the payment option is intentionally preventing the card from being used.
Contact your credit card company, bank, or financial institution and make sure that the payment option you're using was activated, has available funds, and is not being intentionally blocked.
Solution 2: Add a new payment option
To add a new payment option, go to Change a payment option, select Add a payment option on the left side of the screen, and then follow the instructions.
Solution 3: Try your purchase again later
Your purchase might be blocked for one of the following reasons:
- There are too many recent declined purchase attempts.
- The Microsoft account or payment option is being used from a suspicious location.
- The payment option may have a violation for non-payment that's preventing it from being used for new purchases.
Wait and try the transaction again in 24 to 48 hours. When too many purchase failures occur, transactions may be blocked until no purchase attempts have been made for a while (usually 24 to 48 hours).
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error CP205 occurs when making a purchase on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?