Using IR extension cables with Xbox One
Xbox One uses the Kinect to control your home theater equipment through infrared (IR) signals, the same technology used in remote controls. If you’re having trouble controlling your home theater from Xbox One, and all other troubleshooting has failed, you can use an IR extension cable to control your home theater. An IR extension cable can help deliver the infrared signal directly to your devices, even when they’re closed away in cabinets.
|Use an IR extension cable to control home theater|
Do I need an IR extension cable?
There are a few reasons why you may need to consider an IR extension cable:
- You do not have a Kinect sensor plugged in.
- Your devices are in a cabinet or otherwise obstructed. Even glass cabinet doors can block an IR signal.
- Your room has significant direct sunlight on your home theater equipment.
What is an IR extension cable and what does it do?
An IR extension cable is a thin cable with an IR emitter(s) on the end. It allows you to emit IR signals to a location that the Kinect can’t reach. You can position an emitter in otherwise difficult-to-access spaces and work around things like media cabinets, decorations, and so on.
What kind of IR extension cable can I use with Xbox One?
Almost any off-the-shelf IR extension cable will work with your Xbox One, as long as it meets the following requirements:
- It connects using a 3.5mm jack (similar to a pair of standard headphones).
- It has three or fewer emitters.
- It is an IR transmitter, not a receiver.
- The 3.5 mm jack has only two conductors like the image below.
How do I install an IR extension cable?
You can install an IR extension cable in a few simple steps:
- Connect your IR extension cable to the IR port on the back of the Xbox One.
- Position the emitters near the devices you want to control. These may be designed to fit under the device near the IR window, or they may be sticky and adhere directly to the IR window.
- Test to make sure you can control the device. Reposition the emitters if necessary.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Using IR extension cables with Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?