Content limits when an adult and a child are both signed in on Xbox One
If most or all of your apps and games have been replaced with content rated “E for Everyone,” or if you can’t find an app or a game, you and a child with content limits are both signed in on the Xbox One console.
- When an adult and a child are both signed in on Xbox One, the console enforces the content limits that are set for the child account. This means that if your child or teen is restricted from watching a movie with mature content, you won’t be able to watch that movie while your child is signed in.
- When a child signs in while an adult account is using unrestricted content, the game or app is interrupted and a prompt appears asking to grant permission for the child to use or see the content.
This may happen if:
- The Kinect sensor is configured to automatically sign in players it recognizes. If those players are signed in when they enter the play space, play will be interrupted by a permission request to allow the child to view the content.
- The child signed in while the adult was out of the room.
- The child didn’t sign out when he or she was finished using the Xbox One.
What are my options?
In any of these scenarios, you have three options.
Solution 1: Grant your child an exception for the content you want to use
- On the Choose who will give permission screen, select the account of the adult family member who’s providing permission.
- Enter the adult’s account email address and password, or the console’s passkey.
- Select either Always or Just this once.
Solution 2: Sign the child account out
Your settings will return to the levels assigned to you after the child signs out. To sign out your child:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then select Sign in.
- Select your child’s account.
- Select Sign out.
Solution 3: Close the permission request
Press the B button on your controller to go back and continue using the more restricted settings while your child is in the room.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Content limits when an adult and a child are both signed in on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?