Error when selecting the 4K UHD resolution on Xbox One X and Xbox One S
You receive the following error message when you choose 4K UHD in display settings:
That didn't work
4K is supported by your TV, but not at 60Hz. You won't be able to upscale to 4K, but, depending on your TV, you may still be able to play some 4K and HDR content. To see what your TV supports, choose 4K TV details.
This error occurs when the console detects that your TV supports 4K, but doesn't support a 60 Hz refresh rate. You may still be able to play 4K content at other refresh rates, but you won't be able to upscale the system, games, and apps to 4K.
To determine what your TV is telling the console about its 4K capabilities, see Checking your TV's 4K and HDR capabilities on Xbox One X and Xbox One S. Use the 4K TV details screen to see what changes as you try different things:
- Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged into the correct port on your TV. Some 4K TVs only support their full set of 4K features on specific HDMI ports. See your TV manual to determine if there are special 4K HDMI ports, or try different ports on your TV.
- Check your TV's settings menu. Your TV might have a special mode that controls your TV's refresh rates. See your TV manual to determine if you need to change your TV's settings.
- Make sure you're using the HDMI cable that was included with the Xbox One X and Xbox One S.
- Try a different HDMI cable. Your cables must be HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium certified.
- Plug your TV straight into your console with the HDMI cable that was included with the Xbox One X and Xbox One S. Some AV receivers or other video equipment may not correctly pass the signal to your TV or console. Also, you'll need to use HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium certified cables between both the console and receiver, and the receiver and TV.
Unfortunately, some TVs don't support 4K at 60Hz. See your TV manual to make sure.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error when selecting the 4K UHD resolution on Xbox One X and Xbox One S" issue you were reading about or a different issue?