Sunset Overdrive FAQ
Have a question about Sunset Overdrive? Check here for answers to common questions.
On this page
Is Sunset Overdrive an Xbox Play Anywhere game?
Sunset Overdrive is not an Xbox Play Anywhere game. You can make separate purchases for Sunset Overdrive in the following locations:
Is Sunset Overdrive included in Xbox Game Pass?
Does Sunset Overdrive have online multiplayer gaming?
I was prompted to upgrade my Windows device to play Sunset Overdrive. Which version do I need?
To download and install Sunset Overdrive on Windows 10, you need a device running version 1703, with OS Build 15063.0 or later.
Additionally, your device must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10. If you have a 32-bit version, you won't be able to play Sunset Overdrive.
To see whether you're running an appropriate version of Windows on your device:
- Go to Start > Settings > System > About.
- Look at Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows your PC is running. Make sure this is at least 1703.
- Look at OS build and make sure this is at least 15063.0.
- Look at System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows.
If you don't see a version listed, you need to update before you can download the game. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security >
Windows Update. See if any relevant updates are available.
Note If it's been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won't get the latest update right away. This is to allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the latest update.
- See the Windows Update: FAQ page to upgrade your device to Windows 10 with the latest update.
If you have version KN of Windows 10, you may need to download additional software. These are available as a free download. To do this, go to Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions (November 2015).
What are the hardware requirements?
The hardware requirements for Sunset Overdrive will vary depending on whether you’re playing on Xbox or Windows 10. Visit the product detail page for each platform to determine the size of the game, the system requirements (particularly for Windows 10 devices), as well as any additional info about the game.
To view the installation requirements for Xbox, visit the Sunset Overdrive product detail page.
To see if your Xbox has enough available disc space to install Sunset Overdrive:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, go to My games & apps, press the A button, and select See all.
- Check the available drive space displayed at the bottom left corner of the screen. If you don’t have enough space, you’ll either need to remove some of your existing games and apps or add an external drive to your console.
If you’re using an external storage device with your console and you want to change the default installation location:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Settings > System > Storage.
- Under Manage storage, your default storage location is indicated by a triangle in the top right corner.
To view the system requirements for Windows 10, visit the Sunset Overdrive product detail page. The “Additional information” section will give you the approximate download size, indicating how large the game is.
If you don’t know your GPU (graphics processor) or VRAM (video memory), here’s how you can check:
- Go to Start > Settings > System.
- On the Display tab, scroll down and select Advanced display settings.
- Select Display adapter properties. The Adapter Type will display the name of the GPU, and the Dedicated Memory will display the VRAM.
See How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device for more info about how to check your device.
To determine how much available disk space your Windows 10 device has, and to change the location that your game will save to:
- Go to Settings > System > Storage.
- The used disk space for each drive on your device will be displayed. Make sure you have enough available space on your hard drive.
See Find out how much storage your PC has for more info about how to check your Windows 10 device.
What happens if I download Sunset Overdrive on a device that doesn't meet the hardware requirements?
We recommend that you check the device specifications before purchasing the game to make sure your device meets the minimum requirements.
If you've already downloaded the game, you can try adjusting the in-game graphics options in the game settings.
How long does it take to download Sunset Overdrive?
The download time can vary depending on the speed of your internet connection. On average, it takes about 4 hours to download 40 GB over a 20-Mbps connection.
Follow the steps in the What are the hardware requirements? section above to find the size of the game on Xbox and Windows 10. These may vary depending on which device you’re installing to.
The table below represents estimated download times based on current download speed.
Note This information is intended as a guide only, not an actual representation of download time. Bandwidth will be constrained and download time will increase during activities such as streaming content, playing games, or game streaming from your Xbox One to a Windows 10 PC.
|Current download speed||30-GB file||40-GB file||50-GB file||60-GB file||70-GB file|
|2 Mb/s||33.3 hours||44.4 hours||55.6 hours||66.7 hours||77.8 hours|
|5 Mb/s||13.3 hours||17.8 hours||22.2 hours||26.7 hours||31.1 hours|
|10 Mb/s||6.7 hours||8.9 hours||11.1 hours||13.3 hours||15.6 hours|
|20 Mb/s||3.3 hours||4.4 hours||5.6 hours||6.7 hours||7.8 hours|
|50 Mb/s||1.3 hours||1.8 hours||2.2 hours||2.7 hours||3.1 hours|
|50 Mb/s||0.7 hours||0.9 hours||1.1 hours||1.3 hours||1.6 hours|
|100 Mb/s||0.3 hours||0.4 hours||0.6 hours||0.7 hours||0.8 hours|
If you're installing a 20-GB file and it's 25 percent downloaded (15 GB remaining) and your connection speed is 10 Mb/s, it should take about 3.4 hours for the download to complete. (This assumes that the download speed stays the same.)
While you're downloading the game, do not cancel the download or shut down your computer. The Sunset Overdrive icon will appear in the listed My Games & apps section on Xbox, and in My Library on your Windows 10 device.
Note You may be subject to additional internet fees while you download the game.
If you believe you’re experiencing a slow download of the game, go to Troubleshoot slow game or app downloads on Xbox One or Fix network connection issues in Windows for additional troubleshooting steps.
How do I get the best gaming experience while playing on Windows 10?
If you’re playing on Windows 10, make sure that your device meets the highest system requirements by checking the system information. See the What are the hardware requirements? section above for details on how to do this.
You can also enable Game Mode to prioritize your device’s resources for gameplay. Visit Use Game Mode while gaming on your PC for more info.
What kind of accessory device do I need to control Sunset Overdrive on Windows 10?
You can use a mouse and keyboard or a game controller (an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller is recommended). If you use an Xbox One controller, you'll need either a USB cable to connect it to your device or an Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10.
You can also connect an Xbox One S or Xbox Design Lab controller to your device using Bluetooth. For more details, see Using Xbox One Wireless Controllers on a PC.
Other USB game controllers supported by Windows may also work.
I have questions about or problems with the in-game play experience. Where can I go for help?
If you’re stuck on a part of the game, you need some advice from other players on what to do next, or you want to give others hints and tips from your own experience, there are a couple of places you can go.
How do I report issues playing Sunset Overdrive?
If you’ve purchased Sunset Overdrive or are playing via Xbox Game Pass (Xbox One only), see the Insomniac Games Subreddit for more in-game troubleshooting help.
If you have the Feedback Hub installed on your Windows 10 device, you can provide feedback for any issues downloading, installing, or playing Sunset Overdrive on Windows 10. To do this:
- Select the Windows icon and enter "Feedback Hub."
- Once the app opens, select the Feedback icon on the left.
- Select the Add new feedback button.
- Enter your comments in the text boxes.
- In the category selection boxes at the bottom, select Gaming and Xbox for the first box, and the appropriate option for the second box.
- Enter any additional details you wish to include.
- Select Submit to send your feedback.
If you’ve installed the Xbox Insider Hub on Xbox One and are having issues playing Sunset Overdrive:
- While you’re experiencing the problem, press and hold the Xbox button on your controller, then select Report a problem.
- See if your problem has already been listed. If not, select Add new problem.
- Under categories, select Games, then select Sunset Overdrive.
- Enter a detailed description of the problem you’re experiencing, and then select whether to include a screenshot or video that shows the problem happening.
- Once completed, select Done to submit your feedback.
Note For both the Feedback Hub and the Xbox Insider Hub, you may not receive a response directly from the team investigating your problem.
Do I need a Microsoft account to play Sunset Overdrive?
Yes, you'll need a Microsoft account to play Sunset Overdrive when playing on Xbox One or Windows 10. If you already play games on an Xbox console, you can use the same account you use for those games to also play on Windows 10. For more details, see Microsoft account on the Xbox console FAQ.
Note You don’t need to have a Microsoft account if you’re playing Sunset Overdrive on Windows 10 and you purchased the game through Steam.
Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play Sunset Overdrive?
If you’re planning to be in an area with no online coverage, you can prepare your Windows 10 device to allow you to play Sunset Overdrive offline.
For details on how to configure your Windows 10 device for offline play, see Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode.
If you play offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Microsoft Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline.
If you earn any achievements while playing offline, they will sync to your account the next time you sign in to Xbox Live on your device. Your game save progress will also sync when you sign in to Xbox Live.
You also won't be able to use the benefits of Xbox Live while offline. See Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account? below for details.
On how many devices can I install Sunset Overdrive?
On Xbox, you can install Sunset Overdrive and play offline on your home console, as well as install and play on your friends’ consoles if you sign in to Xbox Live before playing.
On Windows 10, you can install Sunset Overdrive and play offline on your main device (usually the first device you install the game on), and install on multiple devices if you sign in to Xbox Live before playing.
Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account?
When you connect Sunset Overdrive to the Xbox Live service, you get the following benefits while you play on your Windows 10 device.
Note You must connect to Xbox Live through the Xbox app to launch Sunset Overdrive. See Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play Sunset Overdrive? above.
- Stay connected to the Xbox Live community, view achievements, watch game clips, and more.
- Store your saved games in the cloud and continue playing on a different PC right from where you left off.
- Play with your Xbox Wireless Controller on Windows 10 using the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- Easily record, narrate, and share your most epic gaming moments.
- Any game clips that you capture while playing Sunset Overdrive can be accessed via the Xbox app. See Benefits of running the Xbox app while playing a game on Windows 10 for more information.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Sunset Overdrive FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?