Set up your Xbox 360 E console
Setting up your Xbox 360 E console is easy – just follow these step-by-step instructions.
This topic contains the following sections:
Unbox and position the console
Step 1: Unbox the console
An Xbox 360 E game system typically includes:
- A/V cable (3.5mm composite)
- Power supply
- Power cord
- Wireless controller
- 2 AA batteries
- User manual
- Wired headset (varies by console package)
Step 2: Remove the protective tape
Step 3: Position the console
|Good placement||Poor placement|
Make sure that the location for your console is as follows:
- Well-ventilated, relatively cool, and away from direct heat sources
- Uncluttered. Do not put other objects on, under, or right next to the console
You can position the console vertically or horizontally.
Plug in the power supply
- Plug in the power supply.
- Plug the power cord into the power supply.
- Plug the power cord into an electrical outlet.
Connect the console to your TV
The Xbox 360 E console system includes a Composite Audio/Visual cable. You can use this cable to connect the console to a standard television or monitor. Here's how:
- This Composite Audio/Visual cable does not support high definition (HD) display.
- If you have a HDTV and want to check the instructions for using an HDMI cable, see Connect your Xbox 360 console to a TV.
- Connect the small 3.5mm connector to the 3.5mm jack on the back of the console.
- Locate the A/V ports on your TV or monitor. Connect the color-coded connectors on the composite A/V cable to the corresponding ports on the TV as follows:
- Yellow = composite video
- Red = right-channel analog audio
- White = left-channel analog audio
Note Monaural (mono) TVs have only one audio port. Connect either the red or white connector to the TV.
- Turn on the TV and console.
When you turn on the TV and console, you should see the Xbox Dashboard on your display:
If you don't see the Xbox Dashboard, you might need to change the video input setting. To change the video input setting, refer to your TV or Entertainment Center manual for instructions.
To improve the video display, you can change the default settings.
Connect a controller
Connect a wireless controller
- Turn on the console.
- Insert the AA batteries into the controller.
- Turn on your controller by pressing and holding the center Xbox Guide button, until the controller turns on.
If the controller does not turn on, check the batteries. If you’re using a rechargeable controller, make sure that it is charged.
- Press and release the connect button on the console.
- Within 20 seconds, press and release the connect button on the controller.
- When the lights surrounding the power button on the console stop flashing, the controller is connected.
- You can connect up to four controllers to a console.
- Each connected controller is assigned to one of four positions. Each position corresponds to a lighted section around the controller’s Xbox Guide button.
Connect a wired controller
If you have a wired controller, see Connect a game controller.
Set your console settings
The first time that you start your console, you’re prompted to:
- Select your language.
- Create a profile.
- Set up a network connection (optional). For information about how to connect to Xbox Live, see Wired connection or Wireless connection.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete these steps.
Now, insert a game disc and you’re ready to start playing!
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Set up your Xbox 360 E console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?