Error C800-0036 occurs when downloading an update to your Xbox 360 console
You see the following error code and message when you try to download an update to your Xbox 360 console:
Can't process the update. If the problem persists, go to www.xbox.com/support.
Status Code: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-C800-0036
Note The “x” characters vary.
This may mean that there’s a lock on your Xbox Live account.
If your Xbox 360 console has been tampered with or modified, it can no longer connect to Xbox Live, install software updates, or play new games that require a console software update. You can still play your existing games offline. Here’s how:
- Physically disconnect your network cable or remove your Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter from the console.
- Follow these steps to turn off automatic sign-in so that you can play games offline. To turn off auto sign-in:
- Restart your console.
- Select No if you’re prompted to update your console software.
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Go to Settings, and then select Profile.
- Select Sign-in Preferences.
- Set Profile Auto Sign-in to “Off.”
- Press the B button on your controller to return to the Xbox Dashboard.
Your console can now play your existing games offline. However, any future attempts to sign in to Xbox Live or update your console software will result in an error.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error C800-0036 occurs when downloading an update to your Xbox 360 console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?