Connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live using a Mac computer in place of a router
If you want to connect your console to Xbox Live and you do not have a router, you can connect your console to a Mac and share your Mac’s Internet connection.
Note If you have a wired or wireless router, see Xbox 360 First-Time Connection Solution.
On this page
Mac OS X Snow Leopard: Sharing your Internet connection
If your Mac has an Internet connection and has an AirPort Card installed and an Ethernet port, you can share the Mac’s Internet connection with your Xbox 360 console. This article describes how to use your Mac instead of a router to connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live.
Step 1 – Connect a network cable and turn on Internet sharing
- Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your Xbox 360 console.
- Plug the other end of the cable into an Ethernet port on your Mac.
- On your Mac, choose Apple, click System Preferences, and then click Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing.
- From the Share your connection from list, select AirPort.
- From the To computers using list, select Ethernet Adaptor (en2).
Step 2 – Get the DNS server address for your Mac
The next step is to get your Mac’s DNS server address. Here’s how:
- On your Mac, choose Apple, click System Preferences, and then click Network.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Click DNS, and then write down the list of numbers that are under "DNS servers."
- Click OK.
- Select Ethernet.
- Click TCP/IP, and then set Configure IPv4 to Off.
- Click Apply.
Step 3 – Set the network settings on your Xbox 360 console
The last step is to configure the network settings on your Xbox 360 console:
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- If prompted, select Wired Network.
- Select Configure Network.
- On the Basic Settings tab, select IP Settings.
- Select Manual, and then select IP Address.
- Enter 192.168.2.2, and then select Done.
- Select Subnet Mask, enter 255.255.255.0, and then select Done.
- Select Gateway, enter 192.168.2.1, and select Done.
- On the Basic Settings tab, select DNS Settings.
- Select Manual.
- Select Primary DNS Server.
- Enter the numbers that you wrote down in Step 2: Get the DNS server address (the previous section), and then select Done.
- Select Done again.
- Press B on your controller, and then select Test Xbox Live Connection.
Your console should now share the Internet connection that your Mac is using. Your Xbox 360 console can use this shared connection to connect to Xbox Live.
For more help, post a message in the Xbox forums. Our forums have informative topics and knowledgeable gamers who like to help.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live using a Mac computer in place of a router" issue you were reading about or a different issue?