Error 80A40002 occurs when you try to sign in or recover your profile on Xbox One
You may see the following error message when you try to do one of these things:
- Sign in with your Xbox Live profile on your Xbox One console
- Recover your profile to an Xbox One console
There was a problem and we couldn't continue
This may mean the following:
- There's an Xbox Live connectivity issue.
- There's an issue with your Microsoft account.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
Solution 2: Sign out of Xbox Live
If you can’t download your profile or are experiencing other issues while you’re signed in to Xbox Live, sign out and then sign in again:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide, select Home, and then select your gamerpic.
- Select the gamerpic you want to sign out of, and then select Sign out.
- On the Home screen, select Sign in, or say “Xbox, sign in.”
- Select the account that you want to sign in to, and then press the A button.
Solution 3: Test your Xbox Live connection
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide and go to System.
- Select Settings > Network > Network settings.
- Select Test network connection.
Solution 4: Remove and recover your Xbox profile
Step 1: Remove your Xbox profile from the console
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide and select System.
- Select Settings > Account > Remove accounts.
- Select the account that you want to remove.
- Select Remove to confirm.
- When you're finished, select Close.
- Restart your console:
- Press and hold the Xbox button in the center of your Xbox One controller to open the Power Center.
- Select Restart console.
- Select Restart.
Step 2: Power cycle your Xbox One console
For information about how to physically power cycle the console, visit How to restart or power cycle your Xbox One console.
Step 3: Recover your profile to the console
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Sign in at the top of the guide.
- Select Add & manage.
- Enter your Microsoft account email address and password, and then select Enter.
- Verify the privacy settings you've set for your account. These apply to any Xbox One console that you sign in to. Select Next.
- On the Choose a color screen, select the color for your Home screen to differentiate between you and others using this console. Select Next.
- You'll be reminded of the gamerpic that's associated with your profile. Select Next.
- Select either Save my password or Keep asking for my password. Your profile is now downloaded to the console Note To control who has access to your account, select Keep asking for my password. Otherwise, anyone can sign in to your account without your permission on the console. This is especially important if you're signing in to a console you don't own or that you share with others.
Solution 5: Troubleshoot your Xbox Live connection
To troubleshoot your connection to Xbox Live, follow the steps in the Xbox One Connection Solution.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 80A40002 occurs when you try to sign in or recover your profile on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?