Error 80153021 occurs when you try to make a purchase on Xbox Live
You see the following error code and message when you try to make a purchase on Xbox Live;
Status code: 80153021.
This may mean one of the following:
- The Xbox Live purchase is blocked because of a pending previous purchase.
- There is a problem with the billing information for your Microsoft account.
- Your account is locked.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions:
Solution 1: Delete your Xbox Live profile, clear the system cache, and re-download your profile. Here’s how:
- Delete your Xbox Live profile.
- Go to Settings and then System.
- Select Storage.
- Select All Devices.
- Select Gamer Profiles.
- Select the gamertag for the profile that you want to delete.
- Select Delete.
- Select Delete Profile Only. This deletes the profile but leaves saved games and achievements.
- Clear the system cache to remove any corrupted data. This must be done a minimum of three times. For details, see How to clear your Xbox 360 system cache.
- Download your Xbox Live profile.
- Press the Xbox Guide button (the large central X button) on your controller.
- Select Download Profile.
- Enter the Microsoft account associated with your Xbox Live gamertag. If you don’t know your Microsoft account credentials, see Find your Microsoft account or password.
- Enter your Microsoft account password.
Note If your account is an Xbox Live child account, the associated adult Microsoft account credentials must be provided to download the profile.
- Select the storage device for your profile (for example, Hard Drive).
Your profile will begin downloading. Once your profile is downloaded, you can choose whether to require input of your Microsoft account password to sign in to your profile. The Remember Password option is turned off by default, which means you’ll be prompted for your Windows Live ID password when you sign in unless you change this setting.
Solution 2: Verify the billing information for your Microsoft account.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Click Billing.
- Verify your billing information.
- Sign out of your Microsoft account, and then sign in again.
- Sign in to Xbox Live, and then try to download the content again.
Solution 3: Try your purchase again later.
Wait and try the transaction again in 24 to 48 hours. When multiple purchase failures occur, it can prevent transactions from being processed until no purchase attempts have been made for a while (usually 24 to 48 hours).
If you keep getting the error, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Contact us. If you are still experiencing the problem, contact Xbox Support by clicking the “Contact us” link at the bottom of this page.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 80153021 occurs when you try to make a purchase on Xbox Live" issue you were reading about or a different issue?