Xbox 360 repair: Frequently asked questions
Find the answers to commonly asked questions about Xbox 360 warranty, registration, and repair.
Warranty and registration
What is the warranty period for Xbox 360 consoles and accessories?
The warranties are:
- Xbox 360 console: One year
- Xbox 360 console with three flashing red lights or error E74: Three years from the console purchase date (not applicable to the Xbox 360 E console)
- Kinect sensor: One year
- Accessories: 90 days
- If your console has three flashing red lights, please try using our Flashing Red Lights Solution to troubleshoot the problem before sending your console to us for repair.
- If you have an E74 error, submit an online repair request.
- The complete Xbox 360 E console warranty is available online at Product Warranty and Software License: Xbox 360 E console.
How do I find out if my console is under warranty?
Use the following steps to find out if your Xbox 360 console is in or out of warranty.
Haven’t registered your console?
Register your product online to see your warranty information.
Previously registered your console?
Check your warranty status (sign in with your Microsoft account, if needed). The warranty information is shown.
I don't see a product that I previously registered
Did you register the product by phone?
Your Xbox product might not be associated with your Microsoft account. Go ahead and register your Xbox product again online. Be sure to use the same name and address that you used when you registered the product by phone.
Do you have more than one Microsoft account?
Sign out and then sign back in using the Microsoft account that you originally used to register your Xbox product.
My console has three flashing red lights or an E74 error. Is this covered by warranty?
The warranty period for three flashing red lights and the E74 error is three years from the original purchase date of the console. If your console is out of the three-year warranty period, you can still receive console repair service for a fee.
Is cosmetic damage covered under warranty?
Cosmetic damages, such as scratches, cracks, nicks, and normal wear and tear, are not covered under the Xbox 360 Product Warranty.
I thought my console was under warranty, but your website says my console is out of warranty. What should I do?
If you think your warranty end date displayed online is incorrect, contact Xbox Support with proof of purchase. You’ll be asked to provide the original purchase receipt to verify the product purchase date by email.
What is my warranty after my console is serviced?
We provide a post-service warranty for serviced consoles. The length of the warranty depends on whether the service was in-warranty or out-of-warranty as follows:
- In-warranty service: If your Xbox 360 console was serviced within the original warranty period (free repair), you receive either the balance of your original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.
- Out-of-warranty service: If your Xbox 360 console was serviced out of the original warranty period (paid repair), your serviced console will have a 90-day warranty.
How much does an out-of-warranty repair cost?
The cost of an out-of-warranty console repair varies:
- $99.99 plus tax, if you submit a repair request online
- $119.99 plus tax, if you contact Xbox Support and have a support agent create the repair order for you.
When you send your console to our service center for repair, we test your console for three flashing red lights or an E74 error. If your console does not exhibit three flashing red lights or an E74 error, and you are out of the standard one-year product warranty, you can have your console repaired for a fee or choose to have your console returned to you unrepaired.
Note If your console has three flashing red lights, please try using our Flashing Red Lights Solution to troubleshoot the problem before sending your console to us for repair. If you have an E74 error, submit an online repair request.
How can I get my console repaired?
Console repair needs to be completed at our Microsoft Service Center. Learn how to get your console repaired.
Who can request a repair online?
Anyone. You need a Microsoft account to request a repair. If you don’t have one, create an account for free. Your Microsoft account is the email address and password you use to sign in to various Microsoft websites and services.
Why is submitting an online repair cheaper than calling Xbox Support?
It costs us less if you submit an online repair request instead of talking with a support agent. So we pass this savings on to you.
How long will the repair take?
The average repair time is 14 to 21 days for customers in the United States, including shipping time to and from our service center.
What do I do after I submit my online order repair?
After you submit a repair request, you will receive an email with information about packing and shipping your console to our service center. Simply follow the email instructions.
Packing and shipping information is also available online:
Download the Console shipping instructions (PDF format).
If you haven't received an order confirmation email after 24 hours, check your email program's junk folder or spam filter. If you don't find the email in junk or spam, please contact Xbox Support.
How can I check the status of my repair?
Go to our Xbox Online Service Center to check your repair status at any time. Under Check Repair Status (lower-right corner), enter your service request number and ZIP code, and then click Check Status. The service request number is included with the order confirmation email.
Alternatively, you can get more details if you click Sign In and enter your Microsoft account information (email and password).
Shipping and labels
What are my shipping options?
You have the following shipment options:
- Print a label: This is the fastest shipping method. Print a prepaid FedEx (Federal Express) shipping label on your printer, attach the label to your shipping box, and ship the console to our service center.
- Get a label delivered: We send you a prepaid FedEx shipping label that you can attach to your shipping box. You should receive this shipping label within four days. This option is only available if you create a repair order online.
Who pays for console shipping?
We pay for all Xbox 360 console shipping, including to and from our service center.
How do I print my shipping label?
- Go to our Xbox Online Service Center.
- Under Check Repair Status (lower-right corner), enter your service request number and ZIP code, and then click Check Status. Your service request number is included with the order confirmation email. Alternatively, you can click Sign In and enter your Microsoft account information (email and password).
- Beside Repair Status, click Print your shipping label.
Note The console shipping label should open in a separate window. If a new window does not open, make sure your browser is not blocking pop-ups.
- Print the contents of your browser window.
Do I need to ship my console right away?
Please send us your console within 30 days of submitting your online repair request. If you don't ship within 30 days, your repair order is cancelled, and the shipping label is no longer valid.
How do I pack my console for shipping?
When you pack your console for shipment, make sure you provide adequate padding around the console to reduce possible shipping damage. The shipping box that you use will not be returned to you.
- Download console shipping instructions (PDF format)
Send us your console only. Please remove the hard drive, accessories, and discs before packing your console for shipment. If a disc is stuck in the disc drive, use our Xbox Disc Drive Solution to remove the disc (select “Stuck shut” as the problem).
Should I insure the shipment?
Insurance is not necessary if you use the prepaid shipping label that we provide.
Accessories and game discs
My game disc doesn’t work. What should I do?
What is the warranty period for accessories?
The warranty period for all licensed Xbox 360 accessories is 90 days from the date of original purchase.
How can I get an accessory repaired?
If you purchased a Microsoft Xbox 360 accessory within the last 30 days, you may return it to your retailer with your original proof of purchase. If you purchased an accessory more than 30 but less than 90 days ago, you can order a replacement accessory from our Xbox Online Service Center (console registration is required).
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Xbox 360 repair: Frequently asked questions" issue you were reading about or a different issue?