Troubleshoot Xbox 360 display problems
- Individual pixels appear corrupted.
- Shapes are distorted. Random polygons, stretched objects, or long lines appear.
- Graphics are misshaped or don’t appear correctly.
- Clusters of green or purple pixels appear in the center of the screen.
Note If your screen is freezing or your console stops responding, see the Screen Freeze Solution.
Solution 1: Clean the disc.
If you’re playing a specific game or DVD, try cleaning the disc. See if the problem happens with other games or discs.
Solution 2: Check your AV cable
- Turn off your console.
- Unplug your AV cable from the back of your console, and then plug it back in again.
- Turn your console on and check for the display problem.
Note If you’re using a multicomponent system, connect the console directly to the TV to simplify troubleshooting.
Solution 3: Remove the hard drive
- Turn off the console.
- Position the console horizontally.
- On the right side of the console, locate the hard drive cover release. It’s close to the back of the console.
- Slide the release diagonally (down and toward the front of the console) while pulling the hard drive door open.
- Pull the tab to remove the hard drive.
Solution 4: Disconnect Memory Units or USB flash drives
- Turn off your Xbox console.
- Unplug any Xbox Memory Units or USB flash drives attached to your console.
- Turn on your console.
- Try playing a game.
- If this solution resolves the problem, reattach the memory unit or flash drive and go to solution 5.
Solution 5: Clear your system cache
Some console problems can be fixed by clearing your system cache.
Solution 6: Try another cable or TV
Try borrowing an AV cable from a friend for testing. If another AV cable doesn’t resolve the problem, try connecting your console to another TV.
Solution 7: Request a repair
If these solutions don’t fix the problem, your console might need to be repaired. Start an online repair request.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Troubleshoot Xbox 360 display problems" issue you were reading about or a different issue?