How to configure wireless settings on your Xbox 360 console
This article describes how to configure the wireless settings on your Xbox 360 console. After you configure the wireless settings, you can connect to the Internet and Xbox Live (if you have access to a wireless network).
|Xbox 360 E console|
The Xbox 360 E console has built in Wi-Fi. If you have a wireless network, you don’t need anything else.
|The Xbox 360 E console’s built-in Wi-Fi communicating with a wireless router.|
Note You can use an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter with the Xbox 360 E console. If your wireless router is not near your console, you may get a better wireless signal by using a wireless networking adapter. When you connect an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter to an Xbox 360 E console, the console will automatically use the wireless adapter instead of the built-in Wi-Fi.
|Xbox 360 Wireless N networking adapter|
Configure your wireless settings
- From the Dashboard, select Settings, and then select System.
- Select Network Settings.
- If you are prompted to select a wireless network, follow these steps; otherwise, skip to step 4:
- Select the name of your wireless network.
- Enter your wireless network password and select Done. The console will automatically try connecting to Xbox Live.
Note If you do not see the name of your wireless network, select Advanced Options. Then, select Specify Unlisted Network and enter your wireless network name. Select your wireless security type (WEP, WPA, WPA, or No Security). This security type settings must match the security type of your wireless network.
- Select Configure Network.
- On the Basic Settings tab, select Wireless Mode.
Note If wireless mode is not available and you’re using the black Wireless N Networking Adapter, try using the software installation disc included with the adapter.
- Select Scan for Networks.
- Select your wireless network name. If your network is not listed, try the following:
- Select Specify Unlisted Network, and enter your wireless network name (also referred to as your Service Set Identifier [SSID]).
- Select your wireless security: WEP, WPA, WPA2, or No Security (if your network doesn’t have a password).
- Enter your wireless network password, and then select Done.
Note Make sure that you have entered the correct password. An incorrect password might allow your console to connect to your wireless network, but you might receive an IP address error when you test your Xbox Live connection.
- Press B on your controller, and then select Test Xbox Live Connection.
- Select Yes if you are prompted to update console software.
Note If you receive an error when you try to update the console software, see Error code after console software update
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "How to configure wireless settings on your Xbox 360 console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?