Troubleshoot Game DVR on Windows 10
If you have trouble recording game clips using Game DVR on Windows 10, this page can help you find the information that you need to resolve the problems.
Note Before you begin troubleshooting any of the following issues, you’ll want to first verify that you have the latest version of the Xbox app on Windows 10.
Users in the European Union and Korea who are using a Windows 10 N or a Windows 10 KN will also need to install the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 to use this feature.
How do I record a game if it’s in full-screen mode?
For PC games running in full-screen mode, the Game bar is blocked from opening.
To use the Game bar or the shortcut keys, you will first need to adjust the game settings to open in Windowed mode.
Note The method for opening a game in Windowed mode varies from game to game.
Once in Windowed mode, press the Windows key + G to open the Game bar and then select the tick box, “Yes, this is a game”.
You can now either play in Windowed Mode and record using the Game bar, or switch the settings back to full-screen mode, where you’ll have to rely on the Windows shortcut keys, as the Game bar will be blocked.
To record in full-screen mode, use Windows key + Alt + G to initiate a Record that clip and Windows key + Alt + R to stop a game clip recording in progress. Other keyboard shortcut combinations will not work in this mode. For a list of all keyboard shortcuts you can use, see Record game clips with Game DVR on Windows 10.
Note In some PC games that use full-screen mode, you may also use Windows key + G to open the Game bar.
What should I do if nothing happens when I press Windows key + G?
If you find that nothing happens when pressing Windows key + G:
- Make sure that you have the latest Xbox app update installed. For more information about updating apps, see Troubleshoot problems with an app.
- Check your Game DVR settings: Open the Xbox app, then Settings and then Game DVR. Make sure that Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR is set to On.
- Make sure that the game isn’t set to full-screen mode only. You can use the Game bar for some full-screen games, but not all.
- Some games ignore the Windows logo key, so Windows key + G won’t work. If that’s the case, try adding your own shortcuts. Go to the Xbox app, select Settings, then Game DVR and then Keyboard shortcuts to get started.
Where are my game clips and screenshots?
Game clips and screenshots are saved in the File Explorer\Videos\Captures folder.
Recording only worked once or twice. How do I fix it?
Sometimes, a recording doesn’t end correctly. When that happens, you’ll need to restart Game DVR to fix the problem:
- Close the game and then go to the search box on the Windows taskbar and search for “Task Manager”.
- In Task Manager, select “More details” and then browse the list of running processes. Select the Broadcast DVR server (bcastdvr.exe) process (if it’s still there) and then select End task.
- Restart the game and try recording again.
Why don’t the keyboard shortcuts for the Game bar work?
Before a game can be recorded using keyboard shortcuts or the Game bar, it first needs to be identified as a game. If this is your first time trying to record a game, press Windows key + G. You’ll be prompted to identify this programme as a game. Select the tick box to confirm that this is a game.
Some games ignore the Windows logo key, but you can add your own keyboard shortcuts that don’t use it. To identify these games, press the Windows logo key. If you don’t see the start menu, then you’ll have to create your own shortcut keys that don’t include the Windows logo key.
To create your own shortcut keys, open the Xbox app and go to Settings, then Game DVR and then Keyboard shortcuts. Using the Your shortcut fields, you can create your own shortcuts.
Note Some games block all keys, so keyboard shortcuts may not work in those games.
Why are my game clips so dark?
If you used keyboard shortcuts to record games that are full-screen mode only, the clips might be dark. We’re working on fixing this in a future update.
My game clips are blank. What happened?
Some games don’t allow recordings. If that’s the case, your captures will be blank.
Why can’t I take a screenshot?
This can happen for a couple of reasons. If the game you’re playing is full-screen mode only, screenshots won’t work. Also, if you have any protected content open on your PC, it may cause your screenshot to be blank.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Troubleshoot Game DVR on Windows 10" issue you were reading about or a different issue?