Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for Windows 10 FAQ
Read answers to commonly asked questions about Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for Windows 10.
Frequently asked questions
I was prompted to upgrade my operating system to play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Which version of Windows do I need?
You need Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.351) to download and install Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.
Additionally, your device must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10. If you have a 32-bit version, you won’t be able to play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.
To see whether you're running an appropriate version of Windows on your device:
- Go to Start, type "About your PC" and then select it.
- Look under PC for Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows your PC is running.
- Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
If you don't see a version listed, you need to update before you can download the game. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Go to Start, select Settings, select Update & security, and then select Windows Update. See if any relevant updates are available.
Note If it's been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won't get the update right away. This is to allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the latest update.
Is Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare an Xbox Play Anywhere title?
No. Users who wish to play on Xbox One will need to purchase the title separately from the Microsoft Store.
Does Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare allow cross play with other platforms such as Xbox One?
No, cross play against other versions and platforms is not supported.
Do I need DirectX 12 to play the game?
No, but you do need to have DirectX 11 installed to play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.
To see if you have DirectX 11 installed:
- Press the Windows logo key+R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "dxdiag" and then press Enter to launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- On the System tab in the System Information window, look for the DirectX version listed. It must be "11" or higher to run Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.
What are the hardware requirements?
To see full system requirements for each game, see the game’s page in the Microsoft Store:
Additionally, you’ll want to have the most current AMD and NVidia drivers installed.
To determine your GPU (graphics processor) and VRAM (video memory):
- Go to Start, select Settings, and then select System.
- On the Display tab, scroll to the bottom and select Advanced display settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Display adapter properties. The Adapter Type will display the name of the GPU, and the Dedicated Memory will display the VRAM.
See How to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 device for more information on how to check your device.
What happens if I download the game on a device that doesn't meet the hardware requirements?
We recommend that you check the device specifications before purchasing the game to make sure your device meets the minimum requirements.
How big is the game?
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare requires a minimum of 52 to 133 GB of free hard drive space to download, depending on which bundle you own.
To determine how much available disk space your device has:
- Go to Settings, select System, and then select Storage.
- The used disk space for each drive on your device will be displayed. Make sure you have enough available space on your hard drive.
If you have more than one drive or partition, make a note of the one with the most available space. Under the Save locations section, make sure that New apps will save to: is set to that drive or partition.
Note If you’ve already started downloading the game, cancel and restart the installation to allow the game to be saved to the new location.
If you’ve already installed Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and you want to change the location from one drive to another:
- If you’re already playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, make sure it’s closed.
- Go to Settings, select System, and then select Storage.
- Select the drive to which you installed the game, and then select Apps and games.
- Select Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, select Move, and then choose the partition to which you want to move the game.
How long will it take to download the game?
The download time can vary depending on the speed of your internet connection. On average, it takes about 6.5 hours to download 60 GB over a 20-Mbps connection.
While you're downloading the game, do not cancel the download or shut down your computer. The Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare icon will appear on your Home screen once the download is complete.
Note You may be subject to additional internet fees while you download the game.
If you're experiencing a slow download of the game, try the following:
- Make sure that you're not downloading more than one game, app, or update at a time.
- If you have any other devices on your network that might be using bandwidth (for example, streaming a movie), you should pause them until your download has completed.
- Check for any Windows 10 updates available for your device. Go to Settings and then select Update & security to see if there are any updates available.
- Troubleshoot potential connectivity issues by visiting the Fix network connection issues in Windows page.
What kind of accessory device do I need to control the game?
You can use a mouse and keyboard, or an Xbox One controller. If you use a controller, you'll need either a USB cable to connect it to your device or an Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
Do I need to have a Microsoft account to play the game?
You'll need a Microsoft account to play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. If you already play games on Xbox 360 or Xbox One, you can use the same account you use for those games. For more details, see the Microsoft account on the Xbox console FAQ page.
Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play?
If you’re planning to be in an area with no online coverage, you can prepare your Windows 10 device to allow you to play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare offline.
For details on how to configure your Windows 10 device for offline play, visit Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode.
If you play offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Microsoft Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline.
If you earn any achievements while playing offline, they will sync to your account the next time you sign in to Xbox Live on your device. Your game save progress will also sync when you sign in to Xbox Live.
You also won't be able to use the benefits of Xbox Live while offline. See Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account? below for details.
I already have the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Are the two versions of the game linked?
The Xbox One and Windows 10 versions of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare are different versions. There's no link or crossover between the games.
As you'll need to have a Microsoft account to sign in to Xbox Live to play, you can earn achievements and gamerscore in both games. However, any progress you make on the Xbox One version will not carry over to the Windows 10 version, and vice versa.
Why should I sign in to Xbox Live with a Microsoft account?
When you connect Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare to the Xbox Live service, you get the following benefits while you play on your Windows 10 device.
Note You must connect to Xbox Live through the Xbox app to launch Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. See Do I need to be online or connected to the internet to play? above.
- Stay connected to the Xbox Live community, view achievements, watch game clips, and more.
- Store your saved games in the cloud and continue playing on a different PC right from where you left off.
- Play with your Xbox Wireless Controller on Windows 10 using the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- Easily record, narrate, and share your most epic gaming moments.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for Windows 10 FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?