Kinect voice recognition and chat on Xbox 360
With Kinect voice recognition, you can control your Xbox 360 console by using voice commands.
About voice recognition
The microphone icon means you can speak to interact with Kinect.
Start by saying "Xbox," and then read out loud one of the options that appear on the screen.
With Kinect, you can control your Xbox 360 console by using your voice.
Speech recognition is supported in the following locales and languages:
Check back here for updates on voice recognition support in additional countries.
Words on the screen appear in the language set for your Xbox Live account or in the language set on your Xbox 360 console.
Find your console language and locale setting
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, then select System Settings.
- Select Console Settings, and then select Language and Locale.
Note When you’re connected to Xbox Live, Kinect uses your Xbox Live account language.
Before getting started, sign in to Xbox Live to make sure that your console software is up to date.
For best results, make sure that you have the following:
A ready sensor
If the light on the sensor is green, the sensor is connected and ready to go.
Make sure speech recognition is turned on. Learn how.
Good sensor placement
- Place your sensor at least 1 foot (0.3 m) from any speaker. At louder TV volumes, you may need to have up to 3 feet (0.9 m) or more between the sensor and any speaker.
- Avoid positioning the sensor in direct sunlight.
- Do not place your sensor on your console, other electronic equipment, or anything that vibrates.
Minimal background noise
- Try to eliminate outside and ambient noises.
- Keep your sensor away from wind noise, such as a fan or heading duct.
Speak clearly in your natural voice.
We recommend you run the audio tuner if…
- Kinect has trouble hearing your voice commands.
- You are having trouble being heard when chatting.
- Kinect's voice controls are activating when you don’t what them to.
- You have moved Kinect.
- You have changed the location or number of speakers in your room.
Start the Kinect audio tuner
Use the Kinect audio tuner to calibrate audio for your play space. Use the audio tuner if you move Kinect, add speakers, or if you are experiencing any of the following problems:
- Kinect voice commands are not working as expected.
- Other players can’t hear you.
- Other players hear an echo when you join a game or chat session.
Before you begin, make sure you do not have a wired headset plugged into any controllers.
- Press the Guide button.
- Go to Settings, and then select Kinect Tuner.
- Select Audio and then follow the on-screen instructions.
For information about how to chat with friends, see Xbox Live chat on the Xbox 360 console.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Kinect voice recognition and chat on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?