Error 20A8-4840 occurs when you try to connect to Xbox Live
When trying to connect to Xbox Live, you see an error that resembles the following:
This may mean that there's a problem with your network setup.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions. If a solution doesn't work, go to the next one.
Solution 1: Clear the system cache
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Select Storage or Memory.
- Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)
- Select Clear System Cache.
- When prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.
Solution 2: Reset your Xbox 360 console
- Press the Guide button, and then select Turn Off Console.
- Turn on your Xbox 360 console.
Note If you're using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, you can turn on the console by using the Guide button on the controller.
Solution 3: Open network ports
To access Xbox Live, several ports need to be open on your network hardware or firewall. For information about which ports must be opened for Xbox Live, see Network ports used by Xbox Live.
If you keep getting the error, contact Xbox Support.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 20A8-4840 occurs when you try to connect to Xbox Live" issue you were reading about or a different issue?