Troubleshoot Xbox Live parties on Xbox 360
You can start an Xbox Live party on your Xbox 360 console and invite up to seven friends to watch a movie, play a game, or just chat online. The party app uses a peer-to-peer networking system to connect your console to your friends’ consoles, so how your local network is configured is very important to figuring out what’s causing the problem.
If you’re having problems with an Xbox Live party, try the solutions below.
On this page
Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
Confirm that your console is configured correctly for Xbox Live parties
To join or host a party, you need the following:
- An Xbox Live Gold subscription.
- Voice chat over a headset or Kinect. See Xbox Live chat on the Xbox 360 console for more information.
- Text messaging. See Xbox Live messaging on Xbox 360 for more information.
For further details, see Xbox Live parties on Xbox 360.
If you can’t hear or talk to someone in a party
If you or your friends can’t hear everyone in an Xbox Live party, see Troubleshoot problems with Xbox Live chat on Xbox 360.
If Xbox Live gameplay is slow
If gameplay is slow in your Xbox Live party, try the Xbox 360 Slow Performance Solution.
If you can’t join a party
If you’re having trouble joining an Xbox Live party, someone in the party might have a Network Address Translation (NAT) problem. To find out, have everyone in the party test their Xbox Live connection. Here’s how:
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to settings, and then select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you're prompted to do so).
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
- If you’re signed in to a profile, select Yes when notified that testing your network connection will sign everyone out, and then select Continue.
A NAT warning appears as a yellow exclamation point:
If anyone in the party sees a NAT warning, have that person follow the steps in the Xbox 360 NAT Error Solution.
Try the Xbox 360 Connection Error Solution
If you see any other kind of error when you test your network connection, try following the steps in the Xbox 360 Connection Error Solution.
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Troubleshoot Xbox Live parties on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?