Set up Alexa as a digital assistant for Xbox One
Note Xbox Skill for Alexa may not be available in all locales.
To set up the Xbox Skill for Alexa:
- Sign in to your Xbox. The Xbox you’re signed in to will automatically be linked (you can also enable it on your console under System > Settings > Kinect & devices > Digital assistants).
- Say “Alexa, open Xbox” and open the Alexa app, or search for Xbox in the Skills section of the Alexa app.
- Select the Xbox Skill and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Follow the instructions to discover your console and pair it to your Alexa device(s).
If multiple people will be signing in on the same Xbox, see Use Alexa with multiple Xbox profiles.
Alexa commands for Xbox
For access to all the commands available for the Xbox Skill on Alexa, use the standard command structure, like this:
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to pause”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to resume”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to turn up volume”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to turn volume down 5”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to turn off”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to launch Rocket League”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to launch Netflix”
- “Alexa, tell Xbox to start broadcasting”
- “Alexa, ask Xbox what I can say”
Both “Tell Xbox” and “Ask Xbox” work for standard commands.
Smart home commands
Alexa smart home commands work for power, volume, and media controls. With smart home commands, you can drop the “Tell Xbox” or “Ask Xbox” portion, as in these examples:
- “Alexa, pause Xbox”
- “Alexa, resume on Xbox”
- “Alexa, turn the Xbox volume up”
- “Alexa, turn the volume down on Xbox”
- “Alexa, turn off Xbox”
The default device name in the Alexa app’s Smart Home Devices section is “Xbox,” but smart home commands will work if you change the name to something else – “Living Room Xbox” or “Zach’s Xbox,” for example. This becomes especially important if you want to use Alexa with more than one Xbox. You can change the device name for your Xbox under Smart Home > Devices in the Alexa mobile app.
If you’ve recently used your Xbox One and there aren’t any other smart home devices paired with Alexa, you can drop the device name altogether, like this:
- “Alexa, pause”
- “Alexa, play”
- “Alexa, resume”
- “Alexa, skip forward”
Did this resolve your issue?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Set up Alexa as a digital assistant for Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?