About energy-saving and instant-on power modes
Configure your Xbox One and Xbox One S console to use either instant-on power mode or energy-saving power mode. You’ll be prompted to select a power mode during console setup, or you can change it in console settings.
In instant-on power mode, your Xbox One or Xbox One S console is up to date and ready to use. In this mode:
- Your console automatically downloads updates.
- Your console starts up in two seconds.
- You can wake the console using a voice command (where available).
To update your console automatically, select the Instant-on setting to keep your console, games, and apps up to date.
Also, your console needs to be turned off to update. You can set your console to turn off automatically after 1 or 6 hours of inactivity, or turn it off when you're not using it.
To change these settings:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Settings > All settings.
- Select Power mode & startup. Make sure Power mode is set to Instant-on, and:
- For automatic updates, select Keep my console, games & apps up to date.
- To turn off your console when idle, select an option under Turn off after.
In energy-saving power mode, your console is shut down to save energy. In this mode:
- Updates aren't downloaded and installed until your console is turned on.
- Your console takes 45 seconds to start up.
- You must press the Xbox button to start the console.
On the original Xbox One console, in energy-saving mode, the PSU is in off/standby mode and the light on the PSU is orange. (The Xbox One S does not have an external power supply.)Both Xbox One and Xbox One S consoles use 0.5 watts of power while turned off in energy-saving mode.
EU Energy Consumption
This device complies with Commission Regulation (EC) No 801/2013 and the Game Console Self-Regulatory Initiative.
Game consoles are set to power down after 60 minutes of inactivity. Automatic power-down could help save energy by reducing the amount of time the game console remains on but not in use.
The energy consumption of the console when in use is in average as follows:
|Default auto-power down time setting [minutes]|
|Xbox One S||1681||27||33||39||32||70||60|
- To check your model number, see the product label on your console to validate the model you have with its power consumption.
- Measurements shown in the table above are based on an average of three selected games and specifically selected media content.
- Media Tested (11 November 2016):
- DVD: The Godfather
- Blu-ray: Wild
- Streaming: The Italian Job [Netflix]
- Games: Grand Theft Auto V, FIFA 16, Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "About energy-saving and instant-on power modes" issue you were reading about or a different issue?