An application won't start on Xbox One
When you start an app on Xbox One, you see the splash screen for a few seconds before being sent back to the Home screen.
Solution 1: Start the app again
To resolve this issue, quit and restart the app:
- If the app is available on the Home screen—in either the big center tile or one of the four "most recently used" tiles—highlight that tile with your controller (but don't select it).
- Press the Menu button on the controller.
- If the option to Quit is present, select it. (If it's not present, the app is not currently running.)
- Once you're sure the app is closed, re-launch the app by selecting it from the recently used tiles or from My games & apps.
If the app doesn't start, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Restart your Xbox One console
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
Note Pressing the Xbox button opens the guide from any screen on the console.
- Select Settings.
- Select Restart console.
- Select Yes to confirm.
- Try to launch the app again.
Note If you're unable to access the guide or if the console appears to be frozen, press and hold the Xbox button on the console for 10 seconds, until the console turns off. After the console shuts down, touch the Xbox button on the console again to restart. Try to launch the app again.
Solution 3: Uninstall and reinstall the app
If the issue still isn't resolved, try uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. Here's how:
- On Home, move right and select My games & apps.
- Highlight the content you want to uninstall.
- Press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Uninstall.
If you keep experiencing the problem, contact Xbox Support.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "An application won't start on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?