Prevent unauthorized purchases on Xbox One
Xbox One lets you share the benefits of a single Xbox Live Gold subscription with anyone who uses your Xbox—without allowing others to buy things using the credit card linked to that subscription. Just have everyone who uses your Xbox sign in with their own Microsoft account.
To prevent unauthorized purchases and account changes:
- Create a passkey and require it for:
- Signing in when you’re not around.
- Making purchases.
- Changing your settings. This is also handy to prevent children from changing parental controls on their accounts if you forget to sign out.
- Make an account for everyone who uses your Xbox. Requiring everyone to use their own profile lets you control who can make purchases and change parental controls. For help creating new Microsoft accounts and adding accounts to your Xbox, see Create a child account and add family members on Xbox One.
- Add a guest account. Adding a guest account on your console keeps your account and payment info safe when you play with friends that don’t have an account.
- Use the Xbox Live Gold sharing features to share the benefits of Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate without sharing your sign-in or account info.
- Control your payment info. Don’t add a credit card to the account of any family member you don’t want making purchases, such as children. You can always buy Xbox gift cards if you want your kids to be able to buy things.
- Add money to your child's Microsoft account, and set limits for how much your children spend in the Microsoft Store at account.microsoft.com/family.
- Turn on Ask a parent to require adult approval for things your child wants to buy in the Microsoft Store.
- Sign out when you’re done using your Xbox. To prevent unauthorized use of the credit card linked to your Xbox Live Gold subscription, always sign out after using the console.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Prevent unauthorized purchases on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?