How to update your Microsoft account if you’re moving to a new country or region
If you’re moving to a new country or region and planning on taking your Xbox, find out here what you need to do to make sure you can use your Xbox console in your new locale.
Note If you’re trying to use these steps to resolve any backward compatibility account region errors, changing your account region will not resolve these issues. These steps are only for when you’re moving and need to change your locale. Read more here.
On this page
When you need to change your Xbox country/region
You’ll need to change your region if:
- You have moved to a different country.
- You’re already in a region different from the one set for your account and/or console. (If you’re temporarily elsewhere, such as on military assignment, you don’t need to change your region.)
What you need to know before you change your country/region
Moving your country/region for your Microsoft account may affect your services and subscriptions. The following is what you need to know about changing your country/region:
- Your Xbox profile information
Your gamertag, unlocked achievements, and the rest of your Xbox profile info moves with you.
- The money in your Microsoft account
The funds in your Microsoft account will not move with you. Be sure to spend the money in your account before you change your account location. We can’t transfer money between regions.
- Your Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass subscription
Any time left on your Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass subscription will move with your account to the new country/region.
If Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions aren’t available in your new country/region, your current subscription will remain active but might not work anymore. Learn more about countries where subscriptions are available.
If you find your subscription no longer works, cancel it to stop recurring billing. To cancel your subscription, see How to cancel your Xbox subscription.
- Other subscriptions may not be available in your new country/region
If you have other subscriptions (such as online role-playing games that require a third-party subscription), they will remain active in the new country/region but may no longer work. Check with the publisher of your subscription for availability information.
If you have recurring billing, you’ll still be charged until you cancel the subscription. To do so, go to How to cancel your Xbox subscription.
Change your country/region: a three-step process
Step 1: Change your Microsoft account region
To change the country for your account, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Select Edit country/region.
- Update the Country/region, State, ZIP code, and/or Time zone fields as applicable.
- Select Save.
Step 2: Migrate your Xbox Live account region
To migrate your Xbox Live account region, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Xbox profile.
- Select Next.
- Select the region from the dropdown box.
- Select I Accept.
Note You may not get a confirmation notification, but your account will now be migrated.
Step 3: Change your country/region on your console
Change your country/region on Xbox One
Follow these steps to update your settings to your new country/region, and then restart your Xbox One console. When you make your first purchase in the new locale, you'll be prompted to update your billing information.
- Sign in to your Xbox One console.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select System > Settings > System > Language & location.
- Select your new location from the list, and then select Restart now.
Change your country/region on Xbox 360
To change your country/region on Xbox 360, you can't simply update your location as with Xbox One. Instead, you need to migrate your Xbox profile, which could impact other subscriptions and services.
Here’s how to change your country/region on the Xbox 360 console:
- Enter the email address and password for your Microsoft account, and then click Sign In.
- Add a credit card and enter the billing address for your new region.
- On your console, go to settings, and then select System.
- Select Console Settings > Language and Locale > Locale.
- Select the locale that you want to use.
Conditions that can prevent you from changing your country/region
If you’re prevented from changing the country/region for your Xbox, it may be for one of the following reasons:
- You changed country/regions within the last three months.
- Your account is currently suspended (for example, the credit card on one of your subscriptions has expired).
- You’re a minor (as defined by applicable law) in your current country/region and will not be a minor in the region you’re moving to.
- You’re not a minor (as defined by applicable law) in your current country/region but will be considered a minor in the country/region you’re moving to.
- Your billing info is incomplete or incorrect on the account (such as your address or phone number).
- You have a balance due or any open balance on your account.
Para ofrecerte un mejor soporte técnico, nos gustaría saber: ¿resolvió esta solución tu problema?
Gracias por tus comentarios
Gracias por tus comentarios
Proporcionar comentarios sobre este tema
Póngase en contacto con nosotros
¿Quieres contactar con el Soporte técnico con referencia al problema "How to update your Microsoft account if you’re moving to a new country or region" acerca del que estabas leyendo o con referencia a otro problema?