Error E40 occurs when using your Xbox 360 console
You may see the following error and message when you use your Xbox 360 console:
System Error: Contact Xbox Customer Support
Error code E40
This may mean that there's a problem with your console.
Try the following solutions:
- Xbox 360 E console or Xbox 360 S console
|Xbox 360 E console||Xbox 360 S console|
- Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
- Remove the hard drive.
- Remove any USB flash drives. Here's how:
- Turn off your Xbox 360 console.
- Unplug any USB flash drive attached to your console.
- Turn on your console.
- Roll back the current software updates on your console and apply new ones. Here's how:
- Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
- Select Storage.
- Highlight (but do not select) Memory Unit.
- On your controller, press the following buttons in the following order:
- Left bumper
- Right bumper
- The X button
- Repeat step d.
- When you see the following message, select Yes:
Delete System Update
If any storage device contains a system update, the update and access to Xbox Live will be removed. To use these features again, sign in to Xbox Live and download the update. For more info, visit www.support.xbox.com/xbox-360/accessories/storage.
Your console will restart after the operation is complete. Do you want to continue?
- Your Xbox 360 console will reboot. Apply the latest software updates.
- Original Xbox 360 console
|Original Xbox 360 console|
Use our Flashing Lights Solution. Choose one flashing light as the problem and follow the steps in the solution.
If the solutions above didn't resolve the problem, your console needs to be repaired. See Getting your Xbox console or Kinect sensor serviced.
Repair or warranty questions? See Warranty and service: FAQ.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error E40 occurs when using your Xbox 360 console" issue you were reading about or a different issue?